Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Just came back from the supermarket

@judy0330 wrote:

A friend of mine went yesterday to the early senior hours.  She said that the store was packed -- and many people there did not fit the age restriction.  Yesterday was the first day for this store so hopefully things will improve.  

If you have the option to use Instacart in your area -- it is a great service.  I had never used it before.  Simple to use.  I was online when the shopper was putting together my order.  I was able to immediately approve (or not) replacements if an item on my list was not available.  I was also able to text with her the whole time she was doing the shopping and she was the one who delivered my order.  Excellent experience all around.

@judy0330 wrote:

A friend of mine went yesterday to the early senior hours.  She said that the store was packed -- and many people there did not fit the age restriction.  Yesterday was the first day for this store so hopefully things will improve.  

If you have the option to use Instacart in your area -- it is a great service.  I had never used it before.  Simple to use.  I was online when the shopper was putting together my order.  I was able to immediately approve (or not) replacements if an item on my list was not available.  I was also able to text with her the whole time she was doing the shopping and she was the one who delivered my order.  Excellent experience all around.

We've used our local shopper helper too, and I'm sure we'll do it again.

Valued Contributor

I went out this morning myself (still riding my optimism high from yesterday). This particular store has not gone to senior hours, but I was there when they opened at 7. At least 30 people crowded around the door waiting to get in (no social distance). I waited to go in until that crowd had dispersed. 

No TP, a few paper towels, very few cleaning supplies (none of those things I needed yet, thankfully). 

I was looking for meat mostly, and CAT LITTER. How I managed to overlook the importance of cat litter I have no idea lol....Chewy is running about a week late in delivery and my two messy male cats weren't going to make that wait time. I did get litter (yay) and also some breakfast sausage, two large boneless chicken breasts (those will be cut into thirds!). The only red meat was the cheap cut that I slice for stir fry, so I got that. 

The mood was very quiet. Some observed social distancing, others did not. I had a very tall man standing right behind me, his head leaning down next to mine trying to see around me at the red meat counter. His closeness wouldn't have been acceptable even BEFORE the virus, but I guess he didn't want me to find some red meat before he did. Smiley Frustrated The line to check out was very long, and we had one young woman that tried to cut. The cashier redirected her. I noticed two people that appeared to have colds but everyone else looked relatively healthy......

My knees felt weak the entire time. I definitely felt fear that my self isolating (I'm high risk) was all for naught if I went out there and caught it now. But what to do? No store here even has an opening for pick up, much less delivery. 

Like @haddon9  said, hope I don't have to go out again for quite a while! 

(ooh, and I did get diet coke)

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

There is no shortage of food or toilet paper, it's just the general public hoarding when they don't need to.  The stores are staying open.  Even if your state says to stay in you can still go for groceries and to the pharmacy.

Honored Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

Our Govenor has asked over and over of people, "Please don't hoard, just get your weekly groceries and leave some for everyone else".  We plan on stopping by Walmart this morning and I know the shelves will be bare..  @SilleeMee I believe you, we are having to ration.

This is 2020 and so unbelievable..  elbow hugs to everyone.

@Suziepeach - Publix was in great shape yesterday. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@jellyBEAN I would try to go when you think it's the least busy if you can.  I was surprised at just how busy the store was a 6 this morning! 

I heard one of the store clerks tell a shopper that it dies down around 10 - 11 am.  

@haddon9 

Our grocery stores are only open 8AM to 8PM.....one of the cashiers told my friend to come back around 6PM sometimes they restock and have essentials then but you have to be quick...!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I talked with my friend, who shops at the same Walmart as I do, and she just got back from shopping there. She told me the shelves are still bare in all sections of the grocery isles. I seriously do not know when I'll be able to restock my food and supplies. I am running low on a lot of things. I am very concerned about the situation here. There are just too many people here and not enough supplies or food to go around for all of us.

For the first time in my life, I am rationing. Can't even believe it!

@SilleeMee 

If you have a Walgreens or CVS try them....I dont know about Colorado, but here in Texas Walgreens has quite a bit of frozen foods, soup, and other staples ....see if anyone hasn't cleaned them out yet....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SoX wrote:

I received my Amazon Fresh order at 9:15 p.m., last night ... milk, eggs, and butter for my neighbor ... milk, eggs, cheese, bananas, ice cream, deli sliced chicken, etc., for us.  My delivery window was for 9-11:00 p.m. 

You know what was also nice about the packaging ... it was filled with frozen bottles of water ... compliments of Amazon.

@SoX 

Isnt that so generous of Bezos.(SARCASM)...Woman Tongue  Meanwhile his 3rd party vendors are making a killing on selling toilet paper....no wonder there's shortages all over and many people cant find it in any stores in their area all over the country....but Amazon has it!!!! Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@judy0330 wrote:

@judy0330 

Instacart is GREAT!!! Use it all the time...the shoppers are so helpful and delivery folks so professional...sometimes its one in the same person.... On Wednesday my shopper got quite a few of the items on my list...but he was very angry at the hoarders...as was I.....No toilet paper, paper towels, milk, eggs, tomato paste/sauce even out of some cat food and cat treats....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@judy0330 wrote:

@SilleeMee   Did you try Instacart?  That was the way it was here last week.  Now there is availability -- at least near me and 2 other friends in different parts of the country.  I think it probably also depends on how many different stores there are to choose from in any given area.  Where I live in CT there are numerous choices.

@judy0330 

I just used Instacart for the first time and I will be getting my stuff on Tuesday. Thanks for mentioning that service. Wonderful!!Woman Very Happy

I was charged a delivery fee, a handling fee and a tip. I thought delivery was free if I placed an order over a certain amount...?? @Spurt 

Honored Contributor

89298661_3023823027663176_5027367375834447872_o.jpg