Honored Contributor

If you are so inclined to help those who are having trouble putting food on the table right now during the pandemic/holiday season), your regional food bank would love to hear from you. Any amount helps.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Oh, yes, certainly agree!!  I shop at Sprouts here in Phx and they have assembled bags of Holiday food for our local food kitchens and I am more than pleased to donate a bag every time I shop there!  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3  Thanks for the reminder! A scout troop and a local church put bags on our mailboxes each year and collect the Saturday before Thanksgiving (today!). But beyond that, I would suggest taking advantage of the specials at your grocery store. Mine has a "can can" sale a few times a year. If you buy 10, you get a really good price. Also, if you spend a certain amount in the weeks before Thanksgiving, you get a free frozen turkey or ham or Stouffer's lasagna. A lot of people donates those too.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just a reminder

[ Edited ]

I've been volunteering at a local food back for many years.I also write them checks on a regular basis. I can't believe the number of people who've been coming in for food lately.We are trying hard to keep up with the demand. Luckily, we are able to give everyone a box of groceries of some kind.We ask them what they need & try to accommodate them.

It breaks my heart to see all these decent people desperately trying to feed their families.

"There but for the grace of God go I".

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3,  your post reminded me of what my neighbor's 7-year-old son asked me just a couple of days ago.  He asked if I knew that some people throw out more food at Thanksgiving than many have to eat.

Out of the mouths of babes.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just a reminder

[ Edited ]

just donated 2 thanksgiving meals to our local veteran's group.......my husband is an air force veteran.....it is our pleasure to take care of our less fortunate veterans......

Respected Contributor

Always a good reminder. The food bank where I volunteer has had enough food so far, but people aren’t getting a large holiday bag this Thanksgiving, just a few extras. Everyone is grateful for what is available. 

Honored Contributor

Blood banks also desperately need plasma. From what my friend told me, they also perform a Covid antibody test on your blood. So if you're curious about whether you have antibodies, that's a free way to find out while doing good.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

The Boy Scouts just did a food collection last Saturday.  You leave bags of food on the porch, and they collect it for the local food bank.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I started to purchase food for the scout drive in Oct., but our local troop did not participate this year due to Covid. I called my neighbor up the street and gave it to her for her church's food bank.