Honored Contributor

Just a observation - Sr Shopping Hours (Food store)

This morning I took 2 ladies to the "early" shopping hour for seniors.  We went to our local chain foodstore which is small in comparison to other stores.  They only offer this on Tuesday & Wednesday and I think it just started.

This was my observation - we also were there by 6:45 am.  My guess there were at least 100-125 people waiting.  Both ladies use walkers.  I would not get in this line we just "waited" until the crowd thinned out when store opened.  

1). Line was to end of building & more around the side

2). No one & I mean no one controlled the line OR "social distancing"

3)  the store had only 3 scooters (which is normal for this store)

4) Clerks at door upon opening were almost "rushed like Black Friday" crowd...and then the "fun" began who got the scooters😳

5) Inside the clerks had both TP, paper towels, tissues limit 1 per customer if they wanted.  Some missed out - yikes! 

Then the real "fun" began approximately 100+  seniors shopping the store.  The shelves were fairly stocked, of course, by the time we got to dairy/egg/bread aisles/meat case -- slim pickings. Couldn't even get near bakery, deli.

We shopped and I couldn't "imagine" the rudeness of some.  I felt bad for many who were handicapped.  The aisles were full of shoppers and many tried to maneuver around them -- not easy with narrow aisles, scooters, walkers, canes...if you know what I mean.

As we got ready to check out only 4 lanes open.  Of course, by now store was open to public.  We waited over a hour to checkout.

After this, I took them to WM neighborhood market, bank and then home.  I helped both carry packages into their houses.

My question is:  

Aren't the findings from this virus stating "greatest concern is for those over 65 (seniors) and those with compromised health".

I saw a few people with face masks & gloves.   The clerks did wipe the carts before they gave the shopper the cart.

Perhaps I'm wrong but all these seniors in one place at one time doesn't make sense to me.  In fact, we shopped at WM and found the store was not crowded at all and IMO probably a "safer" environment.  

I told my friends I would be happy to go or take them to the store anytime but I won't go again during senior hour.  I just don't think it's a good idea since both are elderly, handicapped & not in best of health.

Is this a good idea? Or is it my observation, it's not!

Honored Contributor

Re: Just a observation - Sr Shopping Hours (Food store)

[ Edited ]

I did the "senior" special hour this morning.  About 25 people in line when I got there-a worker asked for ID to prove we were "old".  LOL

Then they would let about 10 people in at a time, then a few minutes later another 10 or so.

What I did notice is that workers were stocking shelves so sometimes you had to wait for a particular item.  I was able to get what I needed and check out wasn't too bad.

The have large plastic protectors for the cashiers and they wear gloves which really only protects them.

The hours are daily so that probably accounts for a smaller line than the lines at stores that only offer limited senior hours on special days during the week.

I have to say the gentleman checking ID's was a David Venable twin only with gray hair.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1   DH & I went to our local supermarket last week when they opened from 6am-7:30am for seniors. The place was mobbed.There was no social distancing at all. There were to few checkout counters.We waited on line for about a half hour.

DH said never again.It was actually more crowded than during regular shopping hours!! The only plus was that I was able to get toilet paper & paper towels,because they had just opened .

Their hearts are in the right places but their execution stinks!!😂

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 

It sounded like a bad idea to me from the start but I’ve seen video on the news showing things similar to what you are talking about. Six feet apart and only 15 people in a store at one but but, don’t worry, you’ll be touching distance to lots of people waiting in line. We wouldn’t want you to get too lonely alone at home now, would we?

You couldn’t pay me enough to go to one of those. Maybe they are trying to get all the seniors infected at once? Kill them off fast and get it over with? Sure looks like it to me.

Respected Contributor

I was thinking the same when I went out last week.  I went to a popular local chain store and it was crowded at 7:30 a.m with seniors.  The shelves were almost bare and little selection of meat.  I got the last bag of flour.  Very crowded atmosphere.  I left there and went about a mile down the street to Kroger and there were few people in the store and it had much more to choose from.  No baking products or paper, but everything else was well stocked.  I went straight through checkout.  So I'm not doing the senior thing again.  I'll go to Kroger on an early weekday morning

Honored Contributor

One more observation-tomorrow is SS payday.  Keep that in mind because many seniors will be out shopping. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

6@homedecor1 

I haven’t bothered with the senior shopping hours for the very reasons you mentioned.  Around my area various stores are doing it, one morning a week, each on a different morning. From the tv footage I’ve seen there are long lines and lack of social distancing. I went to my neighborhood store last week when they opened at 7 am (not a “senior time”) and did just fine.  I plan to do the same tomorrow.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I'm a senior but will not avail myself of "senior hours" shopping.  I had to go to pharmacy inside Safeway on Sunday morning.   Got there at 9:15 am and pharmacy didn't home until 9:30 am so I did a small grocery shop first.  From the time I left the house until I returned was 45 minutes.  So until this over I'm shopping every Sunday at 9:30 am (two religions cover most of the 13,000 in my community so this should work).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Right now, I feel like we are all swimming in a big pool and hoping not to drown. 

Senior hour at our local stores first thing in the morning is more crowded than going later in the day.  If you need paper products and are willing to do that, more power to you.  If you need other items, it's better to go later in the day.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@homedecor1 

It sounded like a bad idea to me from the start but I’ve seen video on the news showing things similar to what you are talking about. Six feet apart and only 15 people in a store at one but but, don’t worry, you’ll be touching distance to lots of people waiting in line. We wouldn’t want you to get too lonely alone at home now, would we?

You couldn’t pay me enough to go to one of those. Maybe they are trying to get all the seniors infected at once? Kill them off fast and get it over with? Sure looks like it to me.

@willdob3 

I highlighted what you said because honestly that was exactly what I thought ... especially with the senior population in FL and our Governor is worrying about NYers flying here 😳🙄🤷‍♀️.

In reality, I'm certainly happy to help these ladies who I've known many years but certainly not happy if they fall in the store or worse get sick☹️.

I just heard (and maybe rumor) that they are thinking of putting plexiglass dividers between cashier & customer at checkout lines.