Super Contributor

Re: Just a little vent on someone NOT saying thanks

Update on this story:

My daughter called and told me she doesn't know what happened and how this girl was so quiet and couldn't say thanks.  She noticed!!!  

She was guessing that her parents do everything for her and she has come to expect that from a parental unit. 

She was a bit embarrassed by this and said 'what the heck'. 

That makes me feel better. 

Thanks for sharing all your stories here!

Respected Contributor

Saying thanks is a simple thing.

If I don't hear it....I don't repeat the act. Period.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I doubt the OP played host for a thank you. More likely it was done to please her daughter. She was disappointed her daughter's friend was rude and I don't blame her. I would be disappointed if my child chose rude friends. 

A thank you is a social requirement that separates the gracious from those lacking manners. It has nothing to do with payment in the form of making the one thanked feel good.

Which shows that you had an expectation from the recipient of your good deed that was not met. You put that on the receiver as part of the social "contract". Proves what I was saying exactly. These are the strings whether or not society has adopted them as a measure of your degree of maturity or successful inculcation into accepted forms of etiquette that serve all of us, but not necessarily as I pointed out for altruistic reasons. I agree that saying thank you is the correct form of social etiquette 100%. I was speaking on a philosophical level regarding our true natures.

Honored Contributor

petepetey wrote:

Update on this story:

My daughter called and told me she doesn't know what happened and how this girl was so quiet and couldn't say thanks.  She noticed!!!  

She was guessing that her parents do everything for her and she has come to expect that from a parental unit. 

She was a bit embarrassed by this and said 'what the heck'. 

That makes me feel better. 

Thanks for sharing all your stories here!

Very cool!  You must be proud to have such a kind daughter, who also appreciates manners.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

She apparently wasn't raised w/ manners! I would not invite her back again if I were you, what a little ingrate she is! You & your family really extended warm hospitality & a thank you for each time you did should have been a done deal on her behalf! I wouldn't blame your daughter if she stopped hanging w/ her! That's terrible! Why don't you send her a bill for all the food, room & your services in a joking manner & see how she responds, lol! If you do & she does respond, will you pls let us all know? 

Trusted Contributor

Thart is a very rude child! She needs a good licking if you ask me, what a spoiled little BRAT! I don't even know the people & it angers me very much, there's no excuse for bad manners!! We Americans aren't half as bad as we are made out to be!

Trusted Contributor

Oh, I know exactly what you are saying w/ the yup & yup & yup! What happened to YOU ARE WELCOME?!!!

Honored Contributor

That’s fine with me!

Respected Contributor

@petepetey wrote:

Did I enjoy the weekend? NO, I did not. I was a lot of work. Having guests at any time is a lot of work, cooking, cleaning before during and after. 

I would have rather spent the last 2 days of my daughters break with her. 

I was being kind. 

I have to agree it is a lot of work. Even having people over for dinner is a lot of work.....food shopping, cleaning and cooking.

Honored Contributor

That's just downright rude. I wasn't raised that way, and if I had kids I'd be appalled if they acted that way. If it was me at that age I would have written a thank you note, said thank you multiple times, and probably would have bought a small thank you gift.

@petepeteyI think your daughter is on the right track in her opinion. Fwiw I know a woman in her 40's who is an only child and adopted. Let's just say she has a very similar attitude.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"