Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just a little vent on someone NOT saying thanks

Not saying "Thank You" is rude.....period....no excuses for it...

Honored Contributor

I want to add this couple had 2 previous exchange students, and everyone fell in love with a boy called Magnus, from Sweden

The couple really loved this boy and he planned to come back to visit them.  He was killed in a car accident, shortly after he returned home, and everyone was devastated

They  hosted another young man from Sweden and he was ok  but they didn't click like they did with  Magnus. However, they weren't rude brats ,and had manners

That girl was something else ,just a real piece of work. I don't know if they hosted again after dealing with her

Esteemed Contributor

@petepetey  Your daughter must've been mortified. Sorry that happened to you.

Valued Contributor

At what point do we stop blaming the parents?  Four years old -- fine.  Twenty?  Not so much.

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Not saying "Thank You" is rude.....period....no excuses for it...

I totally agree.  If you open your home to a total stranger for two days and go out of your way to entertain them, then take them back to their school dorm, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect them to say thank you.  It's just two little words.

I don't do things to be recognized or to be praised to the high heavens.  I do things because I want to.  When someone says thank you it makes me feel like I have made them feel good or welcome in my home.  Good manners matter people.

Respected Contributor

@judy0330My thoughts exactly. As an adult you should know how to behave. Tired of parents being blamed. She is an adult. 

Honored Contributor

Why is no one taking the OP's daughter to task?  She invited her friend to be a guest in her parent's home. She is responsible for her friend and the friend's behavior. She had to know this person lacked even basic manners.

Honored Contributor

She wasn't raised well, that's for sure but it wouldn't bothered me much.  There are rude people in the world, people who received no etiquette instructions.  She's young, I'd just feel sorry for the girl.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this clearly exposes an uncomfortable thing about human nature. There is no true altruism. Things we do out of our "big hearts" are actually being done for selfish reasons. And that's human nature. Sure they did a great thing with one caveat, they did it for the thanks and the good feeling they would get when the receiver gave that and was somehow ingratiated to  them.  We are almost all like this although we don't like to face it or admit it to ourselves let alone others. It would have been nice to receive thanks, but to feel used in a sense because it wasn't given when going into this willingly without  certainty whether it would be given,  really demonstrates the principle that most gifts have strings attached. And that's no gift to the other, it's a gift to yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember the people that don't thank me for their gifts.  My own DIL did not thank me for her birthday check.  It really irks me.  My boys were taught to always say thank you.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead