Respected Contributor

Re: Just a comment or two

[ Edited ]

Ringer, I am 20 yrs your younger and am not at all techie minded.

Truthfully I think it was a flook I was able to make an avatar!!

I figure as long as I can read it and post to it thats all that matters

to me!!

I hope you are feeling better health wise.   Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

I bet you are picking up a few tips each day that make it a bit easier to move around here, Ringer.  I get flustered when too much techie stuff hits me at one time.  

Like SeaGal I'm amazed I was able to post an avatar.  It wasn't supposed to be my permanent one but don't know when I'll tackle getting a new one on the board -- lol.

Esteemed Contributor

There isn't much in this format that compares to the previous format.  Period.

The previous format was a no-brainer.  This format is NOT a no-brainer.  It is frustrating and takes time and much teeth grinding to try to figure out the simplist of tasks that were quite evident and available on the previous format.

I'm not going to spend my time trying to figure out a coder's play day on the keyboard, then wonder how that was ever approved, so am just doing this on a very basic level.  If I get too frustrated, I'll just disappear.

I've already discovered that some of the givens or "if you do it this way, it will work" are actually not working at all.

Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

There isn't much in this format that compares to the previous format.  Period.

The previous format was a no-brainer.  This format is NOT a no-brainer.  It is frustrating and takes time and much teeth grinding to try to figure out the simplist of tasks that were quite evident and available on the previous format.

I'm not going to spend my time trying to figure out a coder's play day on the keyboard, then wonder how that was ever approved, so am just doing this on a very basic level.  If I get too frustrated, I'll just disappear.

I've already discovered that some of the givens or "if you do it this way, it will work" are actually not working at all.

I am on a lot of boards outside of the Q and this is a very common format. 

Everyone complained with the previous format too - stating it was too hard and they wanted their old format back...and so on.

That said, it seems that even the moderators weren't involved in beta testing if they are giving advice that doesn't work.

my issues are around the missing features and also the horrible page jumping.  That really is bad.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Super Contributor
Hi Ringer - I agree with you! The old Board was so easy - didn't have to think! Hope you are still enjoying your books! SAGal
Honored Contributor

I'm in the same boat as Ringer, although about a decade her junior, but  I don't do all those gizmos either!  One PC for me, that's it.  The first few days here, I thought I'd never learn how to navigate around, let alone be able to post anything. Then little by little and by reading what others were doing to solve problems, I learned more each time I came here.  I'm never going to use all the options and will never know how to do everything, but I didn't know how to do everything on the last forum, either!  If I can read and post, that's about all I'm interested in.

Remember--at one time the familiar, easy "old" forum was once the "new" forum that many of us found unfamiliar and difficult.  And I remember a good many complaints about various features people didn't like about the old forum, too.  It's not going to be the same.  Some things will be better, some not so good.  Give it a chance.

Besides, you all know enough about this already to read, post, and in Ringer's case, start a new thread!

Honored Contributor

@Ringer2 wrote:

I know some of  you if not the majority are dealing with the new board fairly well, but I have to wonder for those of us who are not "techy" oriented or have a hard time dealing with change, (I have neither an Iphone or any of the new "gizzmos") and just wish that someone had taken into consideration that some of us (I am 75 and proud of it) have a very time engaging in new things but that is me.  We don't even have a Tivo or whatever, LOL.  I just guess I wish maybe someone had taken into consideration that there are people out there who want to be a part of this board but find it beyond challenging and wish maybe the "oldie but goodie" folks had been thought about a little more.

I will persever and maybe something will click down the line, but I cannot tell  you how much I miss the old board and the USER FRIENDLY way to navigate it and enjoy it!!

"You never know when the last time is the last time."

Hi Ringer I feel for you and others in your position...I may have a few more abilities but not near as computer savvy as many posters are. So...I feel your pain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

@Ringer2 wrote:

I know some of  you if not the majority are dealing with the new board fairly well, but I have to wonder for those of us who are not "techy" oriented or have a hard time dealing with change, (I have neither an Iphone or any of the new "gizzmos") and just wish that someone had taken into consideration that some of us (I am 75 and proud of it) have a very time engaging in new things but that is me.  We don't even have a Tivo or whatever, LOL.  I just guess I wish maybe someone had taken into consideration that there are people out there who want to be a part of this board but find it beyond challenging and wish maybe the "oldie but goodie" folks had been thought about a little more.

I will persever and maybe something will click down the line, but I cannot tell  you how much I miss the old board and the USER FRIENDLY way to navigate it and enjoy it!!

"You never know when the last time is the last time."

I feel your pain because I still don't even know how to post pictures and texting.....well I have so much trouble seeing the keyboard, I am lost.

One person who really helped me here was dooBdoo. I read a lot of her posts here the past couple of weeks and she gives very accurate, easy to understand directions. I also had my son upgrade my software and he helped me figure a few things out.

Whenever I feel like giving up I think of my soon to be 100 year old uncle who posts on the internet. He is also the record keeper of his church and has been doing this for more than fifteen years. He told me a person is as good as dead when they don't try and learn something new everyday. I try but I sometimes fail. However, I think learning new things is the way of the world and we have to say good-by to yesterday...

Good Luck!!

Respected Contributor

Brittany ... you seem to be the moderator to deal with. Thanks for your  attitude in approaching difficulties expressed here. It is most helpful.