Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Just Scheduled Covid Vaccine at Publix

@suzyQ3 the word "diluted" seemed odd to me too and I will try to find that source.  It was last night.  

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@suzyQ3 their percentage of effectiveness as they were not meant as 1 shot vaccines nor could they be administered in 1 shot (from what I've read) because the side affects would be too severe if given in 1 dose.  Talking about the mRna vaccines.  

Oh, okay @agb80. Yes, the effectiness that is most important is after the second dose and within a certain amount of time. Some say you can go longer for the second, but that's not how there were tested.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Once I was able to make the appointment for ours, it was like a giant weight had been lifted.  I didn't know I had been carrying one around on my shoulders.!

Honored Contributor

If it weren't a matter of health and survival it would almost be comical how we're all trying to pounce on online appointments, like teenagers trying to score concert tickets or exclusive sneakers at the stroke of midnight.

On Thursday morning my dad intends to go into town because that's the day the next raft of vaccine appointments will become available, and he thinks the internet might be faster closer into town. I'm just glad he's invested in trying. It means eventually he will be successful and I'll be able to release that worry off my shoulders.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Once I was able to make the appointment for ours, it was like a giant weight had been lifted.  I didn't know I had been carrying one around on my shoulders.!

My husband was 'invited' to make his appointment today at our local hospital.  And I know what you are saying about "a giant weight being lifted", he felt the same way.  I'm sure I will feel the same way when my turn comes.

Trusted Contributor

I was just reading another article this time about which age group is driving the infections and it is the 20 - 49 crowd and more specifically the 35 to 49 year olds having the most.  

If that is the case and it certainly appears to be true since they are on the move more than other age groups, then I think they should have been vaccinated first to avoid spreading it to everyone else.

Just seems to make more sense now. 

Respected Contributor

So according to the news today, starting next week, the allocation for the County will now be divided and some amount given to pharmacies (which are currently not administering shots.)

So now, I guess all those in line can wait longer and/or -  either try to get on another list at the pharmacies - or maybe the pharmacies will be a free for all - just show up - like INOVA was in the early days - who knows?

WAPO also had an article this morning concerned about lack of equity.  The County now has a campaign to encourage minorities to register and is offering free transportation to the site as an incentive.

So how does this work?  The County also says the line is so long right now it will be summer to get through everyone (and this is still 65+/16+with conditions).  To acheive this equity should they then go to the front of the line?  I don't remember if the form I filled out asked for race, but if it did, I guess they could at least give minorities priority regardless of when they signed up.  

Respected Contributor

As far as pharmacies getting doses to give out, it would depend on the pharmacy.  There's an independently owned pharmacy close to me and he was making a list of people who were interested in getting the shots, and said he was suppose to get a supply in early February.  My husband and I already got our first dose of the vaccine, we made our appointments through MyChart accounts that we already have with our doctor. They gave us a vaccine card with the date of our first vaccine and a date to go back to the same place, same time, three weeks from the date of our first vaccine.  I hope that when it's time to get our second dose, they have them available!   I don't have any idea how a chain pharmacy will handle it, it may be different from pharmacy to pharmacy and state to state.   This is all a little crazy!  Good luck to everyone in getting vaccinated ASAP!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

While there are shortages of vaccine nationwide apparently not in Ca.  A friend who lives in a mt community in So Ca who is 65 told me that yes her age group is eligible and she has such a good list of times/appts to choose from as the drive for her will be rather long and so she was deliberating which time slot to choose from at her leisure.  In addition, her son and daughter-in-law both in late 30's and front line workers (they're not healthcare or police) already got theirs - no problem.  No fuss, no heart palpitations/hand wringing as to when like in so many States in our country....with many still 70 and over not 65 eligible.  No longer any complaints about the patchwork of policy?  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FastDogWalker2 

I'm in Maryland and they just posted shots are available at a Safeway pharmacy 20 minutes from my house.

HOWEVER, getting an appointment is another thing.  They show you a calendar of the month, but nothing is available.  There is no sense when/if they are getting a new supply of the vaccine...just basically a gamble of when you check.

We have to register/get the shots in the county where we live.  Period.  No driving to another area.

I joked with my nurse sister (who has had both shots), that I'll probably get mine when there are only 2 people left on earth.  Me, and the one giving the shot Cat LOL