Respected Contributor

Re: Just Scheduled Covid Vaccine at Publix

@Icegoddess wrote:

We're still on 75+ and they aren't getting vaccine in, so there's the conversation about whether to vaccinate more people with just one shot or save the 2nd shot for the ones who got the 1st one.  And even the ones who got the 1st one are having trouble getting the 2nd one.  

I really don't understand the big push to convince people to get the vaccine to achieve herd immuity when they can't even supply for the ones who already want it.  And then you still have to wear a mask after you get it.  

The goal for the country was 1M/day when Biden took office, but even if you assume 1.5M/day with 350M people in the country, how long before they get to someone like me who is healthy, not important, and below 65?  Don't forget to add in 2 shots and now a booster.  Plus the fact that they don't know how long it's going to be effective.

I do find it a bit interesting to see people coming up with reasons they should be considered essential workers and, therefore, should be moved to the front of the line.  

And now they claim they have lost 20M doses?  What happend to that great tracking system FedEx was touting before the roll-out of the vaccine?

@Icegoddess , A booster ON TOP of the two shots? (Presumably Pfizer and Moderna.) Where did you read that boosters to these vaccinations will be required? What will the timetable be?

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom Totally agree, that is why I said I approved of them being called out when they got caught.  He didn't just get caught though. He is so out of touch that he probably thought he was encouraging others to get theirs (and that would be giving him some sort of benefit of the doubt).

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

We're still on 75+ and they aren't getting vaccine in, so there's the conversation about whether to vaccinate more people with just one shot or save the 2nd shot for the ones who got the 1st one.  And even the ones who got the 1st one are having trouble getting the 2nd one.  

I really don't understand the big push to convince people to get the vaccine to achieve herd immuity when they can't even supply for the ones who already want it.  And then you still have to wear a mask after you get it.  

The goal for the country was 1M/day when Biden took office, but even if you assume 1.5M/day with 350M people in the country, how long before they get to someone like me who is healthy, not important, and below 65?  Don't forget to add in 2 shots and now a booster.  Plus the fact that they don't know how long it's going to be effective.

I do find it a bit interesting to see people coming up with reasons they should be considered essential workers and, therefore, should be moved to the front of the line.  

And now they claim they have lost 20M doses?  What happend to that great tracking system FedEx was touting before the roll-out of the vaccine?

@Icegoddess , A booster ON TOP of the two shots? (Presumably Pfizer and Moderna.) Where did you read that boosters to these vaccinations will be required? What will the timetable be?

@noodleann the booster is for the UK variant, and now we have a Brazilian variant and a South Africa variant.  So, does that mean we will need boosters for those too?  It's no big surprise that the virus is mutating.  That's what viruses do.  That's why there's a yearly flu shot, because of all the variants which they actually kind of guess at which ones will be the active ones each year because they have to start the manufacturing process like 6 months out.  I believe it is Moderna that has the booster while Phizer is working on it.  Plus, I wonder if you have to match your booster to the manufacturer of your original shot.  I know they say you should get your 2nd shot from the same manufacturer as your 1st shot.

Honored Contributor

Done and dusted: Jeff Goldblum has officially received his 'first dose' of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@noodleann the booster is for the UK variant, and now we have a Brazilian variant and a South Africa variant.  So, does that mean we will need boosters for those too?  It's no big surprise that the virus is mutating.  That's what viruses do.  That's why there's a yearly flu shot, because of all the variants which they actually kind of guess at which ones will be the active ones each year because they have to start the manufacturing process like 6 months out.  I believe it is Moderna that has the booster while Phizer is working on it.  Plus, I wonder if you have to match your booster to the manufacturer of your original shot.  I know they say you should get your 2nd shot from the same manufacturer as your 1st shot.

Thanks much, @Icegoddess , that's very helpful. Talk about a developing story. I'm hoping that this time next year, when actual approvals may have been made, a lot more will be known and the whole prevention protocol will be better defined. That's when I plan to offer my arm to science. 

Honored Contributor

Regarding rich people and taxation, as brought up here, I don't hate them at all. But I'm not a fan of the system that system that gives more advantages when those lower on the totem pole need it just as much.

Really, this is all O/T.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

The 1st shot of the pfizer and moderna vaccine is so much less effective than the J & J that it will not do its job as it was meant to do. I've read that it had to be diluted due to it being too strong if given in 1 dose.   Many are not showing up for the 2nd appointments and if those vials have been opened already or removed from their storage whether its deep freeze or refrigeration you'd have to show up at these facilities to be there so they don't have to throw any of them out.  Not easy to do in bad weather I know but that's what people are doing. 

Trusted Contributor

A sibling lives in Arizona and told me only Phoenix has vaccine but they are already completely booked for the entire month of February.  Other counties within AZ have no vaccine from what I've been told. 

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

The 1st shot of the pfizer and moderna vaccine is so much less effective than the J & J that it will not do its job as it was meant to do. I've read that it had to be diluted due to it being too strong if given in 1 dose.   Many are not showing up for the 2nd appointments and if those vials have been opened already or removed from their storage whether its deep freeze or refrigeration you'd have to show up at these facilities to be there so they don't have to throw any of them out.  Not easy to do in bad weather I know but that's what people are doing. 

@agb80, I'm having a little problem parsing this sentence. Which vaccine have read that won't do its job and had to be diluted.

We received our first dose of the Pfiver vaccine this last weekend and will get our second in in three weeks. I've never heard that it or Moderna are less effective than other vaccination; in fact, the opposite. But then they all have their strong points, I'm sure.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 their percentage of effectiveness as they were not meant as 1 shot vaccines nor could they be administered in 1 shot (from what I've read) because the side affects would be too severe if given in 1 dose.  Talking about the mRna vaccines.