Respected Contributor

Re: Just Returned from Grocery Store

@morganjen wrote:

I went to our Walmart yesterday morning. Wasn't too bad, since it was around 9:30 or so. I'd say half wore masks (usually older people) and half did not. Stock-wise, it wasn't too bad. They had TP and paper towels, cleaning aisle was pretty wiped out. All the Walmart staff had to wear masks.

Sounds like things are improviing. Also, it's good to know that the Walmart staff are required to wear masks. It should help prevent further contamination even if other people aren't in the store.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

giant eagle had no meat in the butcher case where they weigh the meat.   it was empty and all cleaned up.  they did have regular packages of meat.  some of the chicken was empty.

giant eagle also had on the clearance rack for 2.50 Rocky Bleier's book fighting back.    

sams club had limit 3 signs up on the meat so of course they didn't have the much.

both stores had the produce I wanted.

Respected Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@bunnygirlbrem wrote:

@wismiss wrote:

I was amazed how many people were not wearing a mask.  Gloves-------well, you can always wash your hands, but not wearing a mask was baffling.  There were some of us wearing masks, but I would say more were not wearing them.  

I don't think people still realize how serious this is.  And, this is not over by any stretch of the imagination.  They must not listen to the news or else they just think it won't happen to them.  

I immediately use a Germ-X wipe when I get into the car, wipe my debit card, wipe the little "member" tags, the key to the car, the fob, the steering wheel, the door handle, etc.  

I don't wear a mask (or gloves) to go shopping. Scientifically and statistically, as long as you practice good social distancing, it really doesn't matter (and gloves don't do anything if you touch something once you touch the virus). I do live in a not-hugely-populated town (~60,000), and I do wear a mask when I serve at the shelter and can't maintain proper distance.

ETA: FYI, I am a doctor (vet). :-)

In our state it is a requirement to wear a face covering when you go shopping.  Still there are a few stragglers who don't put them on.  

Gov in our state signed it as required also BUT how is anyone going to enforce it?  Most people at the grocery store are wearing one....I did see 2 men yesterday w/o it and only 1 lady today.

I have had to go out to different stores trying to find some basic items.  Frozen veggies has been near impossible to find!  Today I got the last bag of birds eye large size...I was stunned when I saw it there all by itself LOL!

So between Meijer and Krogers I was able today to get the last few items I needed to restock.  

Meat at our local Meijer has just been mowed down....like locust went thur within minutes of it being put out.  IF you go later then about 11am there is nothing there.  From what I am seeing they stock it when it opens at 8am and by 11am or so it's just about stripped bare.  If there is a shortage coming....well this local store will be out soon then.  I hope that doesn't happen.

Super Contributor

I went to SAMs around noon. About 80% fresh meat gone and canned meat on its way of being depleated. I also felt the fresh vegtables were not as well stocked. They did have plenty of nuts.

Floral Pillow
Trusted Contributor

I imagine the meat supply is going to be like the tp supply.  If people think there is going to be a shortage (which news programs have said there will be a shortage in meat), then people will start hoarding. And then there won't be enough for everyone again.  If people would just buy the amount they truly NEED then others wouldn't go without.  

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

I went shopping today. I visited a liquor store store ( was getting dangerously low on my wine).  The store was practically empty, maybe 10 customers, everyone wore masks and gloves. The store was stocked well so I got my Rose and Reds from France and Spain and left 

Then I went to my supermarket, very well stocked , had everything. People wore gloves and masks, désinfectant soaked towelettes were there for anyone to use, social distancing was semi practiced, but it was nice, friendly athmosphere. The store was not packed but busy. I bought some steaks, ground meat, fresh veggies and fruit and couldn’t refuse a bunch of fresh basil. Overall great experience.

Super Contributor

I have only had to go to the store once in the past 6 weeks, but wore a mask and gloves.  When paying, I keep my debit card in my jacket pocket, and when paying, take off one glove (I then toss it and push the cart with my one gloved hand).  When gassing up my car, I glove one hand for the pump and one ungloved hand for the debit card.  For both of the above scenarios, I then use hand-santizer and wipes as soon as I get back into the car.  

Honored Contributor

The stores in our area are better than a few weeks ago as far as stock, but boy the people shopping are changing quickly. 

Early on in this crisis, there were no masks, but people were very respectful of your space, were all about business and moving on. 

Last major store I was in last week had a very small percentage of people wearing masks (and in the weeks prior at smaller stores, I saw lots of masks), kids and babies in carts and running around. A number of people in general acting like it was business as usual. 

Stocks are variable. The stores look fairly full, but when you try to find a very specific item, it often isn't there, and not just the long gone essential tp, and sanitizing stuff.

Even with the news of closing meat plants, there was a lot of meat, no limits, and some pretty low prices on some things. 

Super Contributor

I went on Saturday to grocery store and everything was well-stocked, except paper towels and baby wipes.  Oh, and no tomato puree.  That's been an item that is wiped out in a lot of stores.

Honored Contributor

I live in smaller town in California, next to Silicon Valley area.  I have resorted to Instacart to do Costco for me, and used it twice.  Very good luck.  No TP, or wipes but everything else.  It is pretty costly with tip.  I do give 20% as the person shopping is working, and facin he virus for me.   

that said, oh Good Lord our local nob Hill/ Raleys hs been horrible.  Always out of basics most time I send my Granddaughter.  Raleys told my granddaughter the order, vendors don't send product.  There is a Safeway a block from us but report is they are worse than Nob Hill.  I wonder if it is where we live.  The Taleys in San Jose has been stocked according to friends,  but that is 40 miles from here.