Honored Contributor

So I don't want to come off as a Polly-Anna or a Goody-Two-Shoes ( I'm not), but this is me. I always try to tell the truth and do the right thing, be a good citizen. I went to the doctor yesterday, I have met my deductible and knew I owed a copay. I say to the receptionist can I give you my copay now, she looked at me in disbelief. She said most people head for the exit trying to leave without paying the copay. Why do that, you know you owe it, it's the right thing to pay it upon leaving the office. I said to the receptionist I feel I am a representation of my parents when I go out into the world, I would never want to do anything to embarrass them or disrespect them ( they are both deceased). I think the medical assistant thought I was crazy, although she said that's nice. Am I a relic, does anyone think the same as I do?

Trusted Contributor

My clinic expects the copay at the time of check-in. 

Honored Contributor

I can pay the co-pay online when I check in before the appointment.  But our doctors expect the co-pay before the appointment.

I understand some people aren't prepared to pay their co-pay.  Most doctor's will bill you for the co-pay.  I think most people are good people and would try to pay their co-pay; but if they can't for whatever reason, I'm not going to judge. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2.  I don't have a co-pay but I understand how you feel in regard to your parents.  I have the same philosophy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

It's the right thing to do in any circumstance.

Honored Contributor

I hear ya, Jordan.   I didn't get any parental teachings, growing up, but I feel fortunate that I decided very early on that I was going to be a responsible individual and a good citizen.

I had a weird thing with my dentist appt last month.   I signed up for this new program they have that covers a whole lot of procedures and a percentage of the rest.   It was only $186 a year, so it was a great deal.    I couldn't use my debit card, so I input the checking acct info on the form.  I was 100% certain I put the correct info.

But I kept watching for the charge and it never came.   I guess I could have just let that ride, but I would not have felt right about it so I called them and explained.    She got the info and the people doing the input for the program had input the very last digit of the checking acct # wrong and it got charged to somebody else.   Nothing ever happened and, from their POV it was paid so there was never anything to look into.

I managed to get it fixed and all was good.   Nothing there out of just regular, ordinary, not being a bad person, but I'm glad I changed it.  Whoever initially paid for it must have money to burn that it was never disputed.   I was surprised at that, when I found out where the charge went.

Moral of the story:  It's always good to be decent and do the right thing.  I hope we get back to that but there will always be those who don't abandon those principles.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  I am exactly like you and have been called a "Goody-2-Shoes" on more than a few occasions especially at work.  I make no apology. :-)

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

I have to pay when I check in at the doctor's office.  They won't see me if I don't.  If they somehow didn't charge me, I would not volunteer the money.  I feel I pay way to much for health insurance to begin with.  I guess I'm not as honest as you.

Respected Contributor

If they tell me I owe something when I check out, I pay it.  If they send me a bill, I pay it.

The office staff works with insurance companies all day.  If they don't tell me at checkout that I owe, I assume I don't owe anything.  Not every visit requires a copay.  If I am mailed a bill, I send them a check.

I don't think this makes me a dishonest person.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 When I go to the dr you sign in and they will call you back up to the window.  At this time you will be asked for drivers license and insurance card plus deductible.  It has never been a problem for me because it is standard across the office for all patients before seeing the doctor.