Honored Contributor

Re: Just Got Back From Grocery Shopping And...

Mask wearing inside stores is a mandate in my county but enforcement by retailers is NOT mandated. (Law enforcement isn't enforcing it either except to "educate" people who aren't complying). And retailers don't want to lose anyone's business by insisting someone wear a mask due to huge business losses during closure.
Valued Contributor

@goldensrbest  Hubby and I put all our veggies in Lock and Lock or any air tight containers. Keep your tomatoes separate from your cucumbers. Most of our veggies last 2-3 weeks or longer doing so. HTH

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess  I FINALLY found yeast at Sams Club last week. I have been looking for a long time. Still no wipes anywhere. HTH

Respected Contributor

At walmart last week they actually had hand wipes in stock, I got one, not greedy Smiley Happy  Got everything I went for, it was all in stock finally. I have been hearing with a surge in cases some people are stocking up again!

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

The amount of food that I bought should last me for about 6 - 8 weeks.

This amount of food would me and my husband for two weeks.

LOL! 

Honored Contributor

I have tried a few things that supposedly kept produce fresh longer, but I've been disappointed in all of them.  I go to the grocery probably once a week, try to go at off hours, and also try to only patronize those stores that have mask and distance requirements.  Do ALL people follow them?  No, there are always one or two who can't seem to do it, and I give them a WIDE berth if I can.

I also never put tomatoes in the refrigerator.  It ruins them!!  So they have to be eaten while they are perfectly ripe.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been in the grocery store since this started.  Been having deliveries from Costco and a local market.  I am going to venture out to Trader Joe's next week since I have run out of many items I regularly purchase and they do not have a delivery option.  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I have tried a few things that supposedly kept produce fresh longer, but I've been disappointed in all of them.  I go to the grocery probably once a week, try to go at off hours, and also try to only patronize those stores that have mask and distance requirements.  Do ALL people follow them?  No, there are always one or two who can't seem to do it, and I give them a WIDE berth if I can.

I also never put tomatoes in the refrigerator.  It ruins them!!  So they have to be eaten while they are perfectly ripe.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I have used the E.G.G. products for many years now and I find that they work very well for both fruit and veg type produce.  I first saw them on QVC back then with Lori G, who says she invented stuff that others invented, but I didn't get them from her.  I get mine from the actual guy, online, and also get my refills from him.   The main reason for that is kind of stupid on my part, as she only had the blue plastic eggs and he carries a few colors so I got red.  Smiley Happy    

Part of it is making sure that produce that is being stored is dry  before putting it away.  That adds a whole lot of time to storage time.  It's annoying when buying a bag of carrots, for example, and they are soaking wet.  ugh.   So I have to lay them out on paper towels on the counter until they are pretty dry and then, also, just hand-dry each one with another paper towel before putting them into a L&L with a rack.  Then I put a piece of paper towel on top that gets changed out each day.  If I have an extra E.G.G. I will put that in, instead.  But I usually use those mostly for my apples and other stuff that I put in, in the produce bag from the store.  Just twist the bag closed with the produce and E.G.G inside and lay it in the drawer.

Between L&L and the E.G.G.s, I keep produe fresh anywhere from weeks to over a month.  For apples, it's easily a couple of months with the EGG.

Honored Contributor

I also have bought many types of containers, packets ,that are to keep produce fresh longer ,nothing works.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QueenDanceALot I just heard this the other day from a lady who was a buyer of produce for retauraunts, but my question is, what do you do with tomatoes that have been sliced.  I don't eat tomatoes, but my husband does, but not a whole tomato at one time.