Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just Got Back From Grocery Shopping And...

@Yahooey wrote:

I'm just amazed that you bought 104 items - which averages $2.00 an item

Thinking how did you get so many items for such a small amount of money and how do you live on that for so long. 🤔

Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I spent $218.05 on 104 items, including a whole turkey.

Signs are on the doors, stating that masks MUST be worn.

There was plenty of toilet paper and paper towels to go around, but I didn't go down the cleaning aisle, so I don't know how well stocked they were on Clorox wipes, etc.

Everybody was wearing a mask, which was good.

The store never did have directional arrows or signs saying that traffic could only go in a certain direction.

All employees were wearing masks, too, and at checkout, the cashier was wearing a face shield.

The checkout has twin conveyor belts and bagging area, and everything was separated by plexiglass.

The amount of food that I bought should last me for about 6 - 8 weeks.

This amount of food would me and my husband for two weeks.

That would last me for about 10 days.
I live alone.  I do not go out of my basement apartment because I am scared of catching the viris.  I lived for years with anxiety.
So I order food from my local grocery store,  Walmart, QVC and HSN.  A bit more expensive but worth it to me.

"Staying home to stay safe."

~Put food in front of me, and I will eat it.~

@EatWell  You are smart to distance yourself.  The more you go out, the greater the risk of exposure. Good for you!

Respected Contributor

I'm trying to figure out the OP's reason for these types of posts.  They're nothing that most of us haven't been doing since February.  Someone please enlighten me.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

I get extra every week the paper or cleaning supplies, can goods or frozen veggies. Meat prices going up finally got a side by side fridge for the garage. just slowly getting a stock pile, hope by Christmas things will calm down. We do have limits in Az. I do share with DD. 

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

I'm just amazed that you bought 104 items - which averages $2.00 an item

Thinking how did you get so many items for such a small amount of money and how do you live on that for so long. 🤔

I know.  I seem to spend so much money at the grocery and go several times a week.  I don't even have children.  I don't even want to add up how much I spend, but it's a lot as I eat a lot of vegetables, chicken and buy a bottle of wine here and there!  Groceries are so expensive.  I still can't find WET ONES anywhere.  

I always wear a mask and it's mandatory in Indianapolis now. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Regular Contributor

Here where I live, we have several supermarkets to choose from.  Sadly, the big guys, like Costco or BJ's are more than an hour away.

My favorite store has senior shopping hours from 6  a.m. to 7 a.m. every day.  THere is an employee outside to greet you.  Entering the store, you are greeted by a cheery employee who gives you a shopping cart that he has just wiped down.

There are arrows on the floor.  People, for the most part, wear masks. All the employees wear masks.  The check out people are behind plexi glass, also wearing masks.

And, to top it all off, the prices are lower than the other 2 options.

I really like this store and all it's employees.

I hope they all stay healthy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is this the first time the OP has been to the grocery store??? Odd post.

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

I'm trying to figure out the OP's reason for these types of posts.  They're nothing that most of us haven't been doing since February.  Someone please enlighten me.

Some months ago (and it still does happen), there was a flood of "my trip to the grocery store" threads.  Can you imagine if those of us who go grocery shopping all started a trip to the grocery store thread?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I wish it was like that in my state.  About 30% of people wear masks.  Our governor doesn't wear a mask.  Our governor has not issued any orders other than to encourage people to use common sense.  Apparently, common sense and caring about others are not traits here.

The guv even said Dr Fauci, CDC, and our state's dept of public health experts don't know what they're talking about.  Suuuuure, the guv listens to a man who plays a doctor on tv but not to actual experts.  It's no surprise that we're one of the states in the red hot zone now.  

Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

I believe the OP lives alone, or at least not with other human beings. Posting here is a connection to others, regardless of content. The documentation of the ordinary may also help give a sense of reality to what otherwise can feel very unreal. I live alone and feel as if I'm in an isolation tank, socially speaking, because I am.

I don't know whether any of that is valid in the OP's case. Just saying it could be.