Esteemed Contributor

Just Got Back From Grocery Shopping And...

I spent $218.05 on 104 items, including a whole turkey.

Signs are on the doors, stating that masks MUST be worn.

There was plenty of toilet paper and paper towels to go around, but I didn't go down the cleaning aisle, so I don't know how well stocked they were on Clorox wipes, etc.

Everybody was wearing a mask, which was good.

The store never did have directional arrows or signs saying that traffic could only go in a certain direction.

All employees were wearing masks, too, and at checkout, the cashier was wearing a face shield.

The checkout has twin conveyor belts and bagging area, and everything was separated by plexiglass.

The amount of food that I bought should last me for about 6 - 8 weeks.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Re: Just Got Back From Grocery Shopping And...

I went to Sam's Club yesterday and they had plenty of Clorox wipes. I was shocked since I haven't seen any on shelves in so long.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

There was plenty of toilet paper and paper towels to go around, but I didn't go down the cleaning aisle, so I don't know how well stocked they were on Clorox wipes, etc.

The store never did have directional arrows or signs saying that traffic could only go in a certain direction.

All employees were wearing masks, too, and at checkout, the cashier was wearing a face shield.

The checkout has twin conveyor belts and bagging area, and everything was separated by plexiglass.

This amount of food would me and my husband for two weeks.

Trusted Contributor

Good on the masks, but directional arrows are hit and miss.

Honored Contributor

I have no idea the number of items when I go shopping...I buy what I need and often (most of the time) add anything else that looks interesting.

People have been wearing masks here now for months as well as plexiglass at all cashiers.  Some stores still have arrows but others have removed them.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 Same here. I guess what is noteworthy to some is just routine, mundane, daily living to others, not worth a second thought.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

This amount of food would me and my husband for two weeks.

That would last me for about 10 days.
I live alone.  I do not go out of my basement apartment because I am scared of catching the viris.  I lived for years with anxiety.
So I order food from my local grocery store,  Walmart, QVC and HSN.  A bit more expensive but worth it to me.

"Staying home to stay safe."

~Put food in front of me, and I will eat it.~

Honored Contributor

I go to the grocery store as needed, at least once a week, sometimes 2 different stores because my favorite doesn't carry everything I want and vice versa.  My Publix has the arrows which people often ignore but my Kroger doesn't.  We currently have a mask ordinance in place, but the employees at both stores were always wearing them.  Plexiglass protection between the customer and cashier have been in place for awhile.  Same for the pharmacy.  

We have paper products, but the shelves are still kinda bare, so can't be picky about what you get.  We just got a big package of Charmin from Costco a week or so ago.  That'll last us for several months.  In fact, we had most of a package when the pandemic hit, so never needed to buy toilet paper during that time.  Still some empty shelves in the cleaning section.  I needed to buy a small Chlorox the other day for cleaning my hummingbird feeder and I noticed they didn't have the different varieties they used to.  There's still no yeast.  That one really surprises me as well as the missing Claussen pickles.  Thankfully, Kroger now seems to be able to keep my bread in stock as I am very picky about that.  

I just can't buy large quantities to stock up for a long stay at home.  Invariably, I'll not get enough of something or forget something.  In fact, if tasked with doing that, I would walk into the store and just be too overwhelmed and draw a blank.  I just buy as I neec items.  

Respected Contributor

@EatWell I saw your Stay Home To Stay Safe.  Today I saw 3 different bangle charm bracelets at ShopLC with that saying and some appropriate charms on it.

My first thought was--if you stay at home who would see it?

Honored Contributor

I'm just amazed that you bought 104 items - which averages $2.00 an item