Frequent Contributor

Re: Just Finished reading The Thorn Birds. Would appreciate ...

Forever Amber Kathleen Windsor. Actually banned in Boston! Based in England in 1600s and Amber is rather like Scarlett O'Hara who is my favorite herione of all time.

Amber lets nothing stop her from getting what she wants.

I will read it again.

Trusted Contributor

Great to see all the old favorites and great reads. Brings me back to my long ago summers and the beach!

A really good read is North and South, sorry, can't remember the author. The TV miniseries of the same name made stars out of Patrick Swayze and James Read. Also Hawaii by James Michener is a good long summer book.

Anything by Judith Krantz makes for easy summer reading, too. Not great literature but a guilty pleasure!

Candy

Edited to correct James Read's name. When I checked IMDB.com I couldn't believe how many "unknown" actors in the series became pretty big stars.

Trusted Contributor

qualitygal, Centennial was based on James Michener's book of the same name, which was written as a tribute to America's bicentennial. My favorite character was Pasquinel, a French fur trapper, who was featured in the first three episodes of the mini-series. The book is around 900 pages and follows the timeline of a fictional area in Colorado. If you like Michener's approach to fiction, you'll love Centennial.