Esteemed Contributor

What would you do?  2 weeks ago a package was sent to my SIL, with tracking info.  The substitute mail carrier delivered it to the wrong address (he got the # right but the street wrong).  Anyway, she spoke with the post master who tracked the package to the wrong address.  When he contacted the resident he was told that they didn't receive any package.  The sender did mail a replacement with signature requested.

However, why would someone keep a package that doesn't belong to them????  I just don't get it!

Honored Contributor

Not everyone has the moral compass not to steal and that is stealing.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe for the same reason people steal packages off your front doorstep. However,  just because the mail carrier SAID he or she delivered it, does not mean that it was delivered to that address. I work in a business campus, and we often have "lost" packages. They get thrown at another office's back door and are never found.

Honored Contributor

Just my experience with a lost package in the mail...take whatever is said about the package with a grain of salt. 

Esteemed Contributor

I suppose I'm out of touch with today's moral code /ethics.  Pretty sad that this happens so often.  Thanks for your replies!

Respected Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

However, why would someone keep a package that doesn't belong to them????  I just don't get it!

Because they got something for nothing.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Some people have that aire of entitlement.  I recall (many years ago) Judge Judy (on TV) being somewhat upset when a litigant's relative 'took' her bracelet that was lying on the owner's front lawn.  JJ said that it's one thing (not very nice) for a stranger to 'take' something that they found on the someone's lawn; but when it's a relative who knew the particular item belongs to the owner (her relative), it's even worse.   (Not direct quotes, btw.) 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).