Honored Contributor

Re: Just Ate Blue Bread for Lunch...WWYD?

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack

That is what my Mom used to say with moldy bread-- eating some Penicillin!!

Still I've read cutting off the parts affected doesn't really help as the strands of the mold anchor into the 'visually normal' parts of the bread.

Sorry about the rotten egg-- my Mom used to say, always break the egg into the bowl first just in case the egg is bad and you don't ruin your batter!

One question-- do rotten eggs float or sink to the bottom of a pot if you are making hard boiled eggs? How does one know that they are not cooking a rotten egg when making hard boiled eggs?

Do you think I should google this? Woman TongueWoman Wink

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I would have even taken it further, I would have made a formal complaint to the manager, or owner of the restaurant..... serving moldy bread (even slightly) can have catastrophic results and the serving team MUST be aware of this.  

As a matter of fact, you may still want to do so and here's why:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-s...

Some molds cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems.  And a few molds, in the right conditions, product "mycotoxins", poisonous substances that can make people sick.  When you see mold on food, is it safe to cut off the moldy part and use the rest?  To find the answer, delve beneamh the surfact of food to where the molds take root.

What Are Molds?
Molds are microscopic fungi that live on plant or animal matter. No one knows how many species of fungi exist, but estimates range from tens of thousands to perhaps 300,000 or more. Most are filamentous (threadlike) organisms and the production of spores is characteristic of fungi in general. These spores can be transported by air, water, or insects.

Unlike bacteria that are one-celled, molds are made of many cells and can sometimes be seen with the naked eye. Under a microscope, they look like skinny mushrooms. In many molds, the body consists of:

• root threads that invade the food it lives on,
  • a stalk rising above the food, and
  • spores that form at the ends of the stalks.

The spores give mold the color you see. When airborne, the spores spread the mold from place to place like dandelion seeds blowing across a meadow.

Molds have branches and roots that are like very thin threads. The roots may be difficult to see when the mold is growing on food and may be very deep in the food. Foods that are moldy may also have invisible bacteria growing along with the mold.

Are Some Molds Dangerous?
Yes, some molds cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems. And a few molds, in the right conditions, produce "mycotoxins," poisonous substances that can make you sick.

Are Molds Only on the Surface of Food?
No, you only see part of the mold on the surface of food — gray fur on forgotten bologna, fuzzy green dots on bread, white dust on Cheddar, coin-size velvety circles on fruits, and furry growth on the surface of jellies. When a food shows heavy mold growth, "root" threads have invaded it deeply. In dangerous molds, poisonous substances are often contained in and around these threads. In some cases, toxins may have spread throughout the food.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, I don't know what a rotten egg boils like. I should have listened to my mom and cracked it into a bowl first. Still, I had no IDEA what rotten eggs smelled like. Yuck!

The very disappointing end of this tale is that it was an ORGANIC egg from a local "grower." Blue inside. Gagging as I write, lol!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

EW--- maybe smells like sulfur??

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I think it's a violation from the Dept. of Ag in our state to reuse food stuffs like bread that are served and open to the air. I don't like using ketchup from another table let alone a basket of bread that was on another table.

Honored Contributor

In my state (and I'm sure in others) it's illegal to recycle food that's not eaten from another table.  I'm not naive enough to think it doesn't happen though.

I would've insisted on not being charged, would have retained the moldy bread and reported it to the appropriate health authority.  It sounds like this "popular diner" needs a surprise health inspection.  It wouldn't be the first time a restaurant has been cited for numerous health code violations.

Yuck!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Moldy bread isn't good for you.  You should have not received any.   About  getting a free-be just for a basket of bread - that's asking too much in my opinion.  Don't think you went there just for the bread. 

I thought from your thread title you had Blueberries in your bread and that it made it look blue.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

A person with a compromised immune system could get very sick from eating moldy anything....

It would make me wonder what else they aren't 'rotating'.....

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

EW--- maybe smells like sulfur??

Ummm, no, sulphur would smell like a meadow of wild flowers compared to one rotten egg. It smelled like, like, well I've never smelled anything so bad that I can compare it to. Worse than a decomposing dead animal!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

this happens a lot with those artisan breads. i buy these and they spoil quickly unless i keep them in the fridge. i f i see mold i thow out the bread because what you see is only the surface mold. i used to date a microbiologist and he was the one that told me all about green fuzzies and what lies beneath.

i don't think i would have demanded the server rip up the check though. Especially of you ordered a complete meal! 

Just remember - restaurants cannot afford to waste ANYTHING !!  they even sell their used and old grease for cosmetics. You need to be mindful when dining out. that stale moldy bread may become the croutons in your salad or breadcrumbs on your Chicken Parmigiana.