Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just Ate Blue Bread for Lunch...WWYD?

I like the blue color of the corn chips. I also buy the orange and black ones at Halloween and the green and red ones at Christmas. We even had red, white, and blue on the fourth of July. They see me coming from a mile away. I'm a sucker for all that gimmicky stuff! 

Super Contributor

Thanks, ladies for all your opinions and ideas. This will certainly teach me not to trust that everything in a restaurant is fresh!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

Gross! I would of done exactly what you did and even took it one step further and called the manager and let them know what happened. Some people could of become very ill eating moldy bread.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

Had your meal been brought to the table yet?

If it were me and the meal hadn't been brought out yet, I would have told the server to cancel it and left after making a complaint to the manager.  If it had arrived at the table, I would have told her to take it away.

In either case, I would have asked to speak to the manager on duty before leaving.

Most times they will try to make things right with the offer of a free dessert first.   Not sure I would want it after being served moldy bread.

If the server was able to just tear up the check, it would lead me to believe that they didn't have a POS system in place, a manager has to go into the system to void the transaction.  

Comps are a part of doing business and they aren't deducted from a servers paycheck.

Respected Contributor

Personally you shouldn't have had to ask.   They should have comped the meal immediately.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

When I was little, I'd pour any available condiments all over any leftover bread, fries, etc. to prevent the restaurant from "recycling" them.  My mom would tell me to quit making a mess.  Maybe I'll start doing that again.  

Honored Contributor

sallybusky wrote:

When I was little, I'd pour any available condiments all over any leftover bread, fries, etc. to prevent the restaurant from "recycling" them.  My mom would tell me to quit making a mess.  Maybe I'll start doing that again.  

that is such a waste......of the condiments AND the bread..... i always take any extra bread home. even if i dont want to eat it i put it out for the birds.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The manager should have been summoned. Your husband is right, you should owe nothing. If you had come down with food poisoning, the would be liable. They even yelled out that the bread was not rotated, virtually admitting that they could have done a better job. People die from food poisoning and some molds can cause food poisoning and even kill.

Regular Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

The manager should have been summoned. Your husband is right, you should owe nothing. If you had come down with food poisoning, the would be liable. They even yelled out that the bread was not rotated, virtually admitting that they could have done a better job. People die from food poisoning and some molds can cause food poisoning and even kill.

I agree with this.

Respected Contributor

I would have reported the restaurant to the health dept, and never go there again.  If they'll serve moldy bread, they probably are not careful about any of their other food-handling procedures.  Do you want to risk a serious illness, or worse?