Super Contributor

Just Ate Blue Bread for Lunch...WWYD?

So DH and I popped into a popular little diner while we were running errands this morning. The waitress asked if we wanted a bread basket with our lunch. They have great bread, so we said yes. When it came, I buttered a piece and ate it. DH went to pick up his piece, and I noticed the edges were all blue. Obviously the piece I ate was also.

I called the waitress over and told her that she served us moldy bread. She went in back and started yelling at the other waitresses for not rotating the loaves of bread. She offered us free dessert. DH told her the heck with free dessert. He said they should not charge us at all for today. She got kind of huffy, but tore up the check.

How would you have handled the situation? We didn't see the manager there today.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just Ate Blue Bread for Lunch...WWYD?

The same way you did.

Respected Contributor

I knew it was moldy the minute I read the title .This is sickening in every way. We would have done the same thing and never gone there again. It sounds like they use the bread baskets over and over again, if it's not all eaten reuse it, We, as customers, have  no way of knowing what is done in the back.

Scary.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

First: I would have complained as you did for waitress to tear up check.

Second: leave a review on yelp about the 'nutritional' bread they served there.

EW!!!!!!!!!!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Yikes!  Yeah, the thread title made me think of moldy bread but then I figured maybe this is some kind of new bread.   

I've had to eat moldy bread, as a child, when we were fed numerous rotten foodstuffs and I am wincing as I think of this.

What would I do?  I guess it's hard to really say until I'm in that situation.  The first thing I'd probably do, knowing me, is to wretch uncontrollably.  After that I'd complain and expect compensation..

I'm so profoundly food-neurotic, due to my childhood, that I really look over everything, so I'd probably have noticed before grabbing it.  But that's just me.   Had I not noticed and eaten it I'd definitely be sick, though.  Aargh

I forgot to eat lunch today (oops) and was thinking maybe I should eat something but now I'm not hungry.  ha!  

Anyway, sorry that happened to you.  ARGH.    I also agree with Jazzmom about putting up a review.  A server, or whoever it is who puts the bread in the baskets, should care enough to notice they are serving something that is not fit to eat, especially with something as visually obvious as mold!

Super Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

First: I would have complained as you did for waitress to tear up check.

Second: leave a review on yelp about the 'nutritional' bread they served there.

EW!!!!!!!!!!

That's a great idea! Who is in the mood for eating dessert after eating moldy bread? The waitress had the nerve to tell us that the meal shouldn't be free as most of the meal was fine. However, when DH started getting upset (which is rare for him), she agreed to tear up the check.

I will leave a negative review on yelp. DH said he is going to call the manager also. Thanks for the idea!

Respected Contributor

@Mama Mia wrote:

I knew it was moldy the minute I read the title .This is sickening in every way. We would have done the same thing and never gone there again. It sounds like they use the bread baskets over and over again, if it's not all eaten reuse it, We, as customers, have  no way of knowing what is done in the back.

Scary.

mm

Many restaurants, even high end ones, refill bread baskets.

Super Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

@Mama Mia wrote:

Scary.

mm

Many restaurants, even high end ones, refill bread baskets.

That is just totally disgusting to know that they refill bread baskets...and who knows what else goes on behind the scenes. Next time I eat out, I'm bringing a magnifying lens!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Ick--those with mold allergies could get REALLY sick.

Esteemed Contributor

After cracking open a rotten egg for the FIRST time in my life this week and ruining a batch of muffins (got it, lesson learned), eating moldy bread doesn't sound so bad to me. It was SO awful, I had to air out the house and stifle a gag reflex for hours. I've eaten moldy bread discovered after the fact also. Didn't get sick, no harm done. I pretended I had eaten penicillin.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop