Honored Contributor

Re: Just Asking

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

I have to give Disney credit for persuading grown adults to pay 20x markup just to buy toys and children's items for themselves without having to feel embarrassed about it.

@Porcelain I shouldn't say something mean to you so I edited this response, but I will say you made my point above about not telling somewhat you spent, because it is none of their business and you'll probably get responses like yours. 

Honored Contributor

I won't even pay $100 for a pair of new ice skates. Skates, to me, have a more useful purpose, and I am still skating in my 1992 model skates. A throw? 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edited to take back my quip to @Sooner. Sorry, hon. 

If I wanted a Bambi throw, I would just get one. There's no shame in buying children's items for yourself. And if paying extra makes some people feel more comfy about it, that's a market Disney is filling.

I feel the same way about people who buy "collectable" action figures and those bobble heads. And beanie babies back in the day. It's okay to buy yourself toys. Go wild. You didn't earn all that money all those years to deny yourself fun little things.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I have to give Disney credit for persuading grown adults to pay 20x markup just to buy toys and children's items for themselves without having to feel embarrassed about it.

@Porcelain I shouldn't say something mean to you so I edited this response, but I will say you made my point above about not telling somewhat you spent, because it is none of their business and you'll probably get responses like yours. 

Yet you communicated your desire to say something mean, and that's what truly counts.

@Porcelain You are correct and I am not always the person I would like to be, should be or could be.  My apologies. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Yet you communicated your desire to say something mean, and that's what truly counts.

@Porcelain You are correct and I am not always the person I would like to be, should be or could be.  My apologies. 

Oh hon. Let's not fight. No apologies needed for anything and I think you are a great person regardless.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like most Disney movies & memorabilia, but no, I wouldn’t pay that for a throw. DH did buy me a limited edition 101 Dalmatians watch for over $100 in 2002. I still have it. Love it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Barefoot Dreams throw that I love!!! It is so soft & comfy, a real joy on your body. Just laying it over me I feel so much better, I know, sounds strange. It's wonderful. I'd say it's one of my best purchases. That good.

However, I'm not into Disney icons at my age. I say go for it!

Esteemed Contributor

No, it’s very plain, nothing special about it 

Esteemed Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

For my favorite Disney...."Lady and the Tramp"...I sure would! Heart

*TRAMP & LADY ~ Lady and the Tramp, c. 1955

My favorite too but I wouldn’t spend that much on a throw. But I do love Lady and the Tramp

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Georgiagrama If you can afford it and it means that much to you, sure, grab it!  If you know down deep it is for you do it but don't tell anybody else or you WILL possibly regret that!

I would never spend like that on someone else, because it may not mean that much to them.  Especially on grandkids because you cannot know what their most cherished memories are or will be.

A hard lesson I learned in my many years is don't try to think what other people see as special and spend a bundle on it because it hardly ever works out!  Woman Embarassed  Like I would think you were nuts if you bought that for me.  But if it means that much to YOU I'd be happy and say GO GET IT!

@Sooner   Thank you for your for your sweet response.  It seems as I have aged there isn't much I need, and even less that I want, but this just brought a gentle memory to mind of my childhood so many, many, years ago.