Respected Contributor

Mailed my federal/state returns last week.  I did them myself this year (on paper forms) and saved $350 from having HR Block do them. 

Honored Contributor

We just, finally, had our appointment with the accountant on Friday, the 14th.  

It's usually not so close to the wire, but my husband had to wait longer than usual for some form and didn't get it turned in until mid March.

Glad it's done.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My accountant filed mine electronically Saturday and I just went to the post office and mailed the checks. 

I'm just about in the same situation.  Returns were done last week, but since I had to pay.....I mailed off those checks a few hours ago.  

sigh....there goes my new iPad......(not to mention other splurges)

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

Mailed my federal/state returns last week.  I did them myself this year (on paper forms) and saved $350 from having HR Block do them. 

@Catty2 if you don't mind I would like to piggyback off of your post.  I went to H&R Block for a very long time because of the shenanigans of my ex and stayed with them as I thought they did a good job until last year which was a nightmare.  I had to file and re-file my returns twice and then the IRS actually kicked them back with a partial refund of what I had paid.  I argued for at least a partial refund on what they  charged me but it fell on deaf ears.  Because of not only messing up my return but also their shoddy CS I would never do business with them again.

I guess what I am saying is for those that use and trust them, maybe look around a little bit.  I found a great accountant that charged me 1/3 of what H&R usually charged me for not that complicated returns (but I wanted their guarantee, sigh).  He asked me questions that H&R never did and I am more than satisfied with my  refund.

Honored Contributor

I also prefer using a local accountant, who gives me far more than an online service ever could. I've used these in the past, to do tax returns for my kids, so I know the limits.  

Im sure they're fine if your return is a simple one, but for my situation, and having to file state returns in three different states, I want a CPA to do my taxes. 

Honored Contributor

We use an accountant, usually file by the second week of Feb. and then have our refund before the first of March or there abouts.

Trusted Contributor

Just finished mine and my sons at 9pm. He is a young adult, so this is the last year I will do his.

He works full time at a very good job, and has started to take an interest in investing, but he is doing it all by himself, learning how to buy and sell. He is super smart, so it is good he is teaching himself.

The not so good part is he was all short term gains/losses. He didn't lose much at all. My problem was how complicated the loss/gain formula is, and how time consuming it is.

I told him next year, he is either going to do them himself, and I will help him decipher questions if he gets confused, or he can hire a CPA,  but I think it is time for him to fly from my "Mom does my taxes for free" nest.

I didn't like the pressure of not making a mistake in his world of investing. I wouldn't want to be responsible of causing him to be audited.

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray: Of course I'm from NJ too.  We are taxed to death here.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@Stray: Of course I'm from NJ too.  We are taxed to death here.

@queendiva- I know and we are still in debt.  We are taxed to death for being alive ....lol...I love my State but not the place to retire!