Honored Contributor

Re: Just A Reminder: Christmas Starts On The 25th

going  from political ads non stop to XMas garbage ads and music hoopla non stop..... just sickening.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Cakers3the liturgical year goes from the brightest time of the year , which is the feast of St John the Baptist ,after this feast  the days begin to  wane( I must decrease ,He must increase) When Christ comes to to us as the Light of the world, it is during the darkesst period( the shortest time of the year for daylight.) As we approach lent ,the days are longer again.

The Church Calendar was carefully constructed. I think they knew what they were doing. The Vatican has an observatory

There is also something to do with the Feast of St Sylvester( if my memory serves me correctly ) that has to do with Christ's natal day

@cherry  The feast of St. Sylvester on Dec. 31 for the RCC (his death date and the 7th day of Christmastide) and on Jan. 2 for Eastern Christian churches, which actually celebrates the naming and circumcision of Jesus.

I'm not sure about St. Sylvester in terms of Christmas; we were not given lessons on him during Christmastime.  I only know about the formation of the Nicene Creed during his papacy.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Great discussion whether you agree with most or not.

We are to treat everyday as if it were Christmas .... ask yourself, why were you put on this Earth in the first place.   Since Christmas Day was decided by men who chose a pagan holiday for the celebration, I am not offended by those who only focus on decorations & gifts as the reason for the season on the 25th.  Scholars have pinpointed Spring as the time of His birth.

@seaBreeze  Agree-it is a good discussion. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Respectfully, QVC is a retailer, not a religious service channel. QVC’s very existence depends on their success in selling products, just like any other retailer of goods. While I might buy something from QVC, it doesn’t dictate or influence my spiritual life.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@dooBdoo- an amazing and inspiring quote, especially emerging from the depths of the Depression.

As an old woman and through my life, I have been blessed with the Joy of Christmas every single day of my life, both the darkest and the brightest.

If the so called “commercialization” of the season offends, it can be easily re-framed into a healthy reminder to self that they who benefit from the anonymous provisions for those who are suffering, in need, or in trouble rarely refuse the kindness, no matter the date on the calendar.

For US Christians, or US pious and discerning members of ANY faith, there’s too much work to be done to waste time on ruminating about when the selling begins or whether there is a commercialized aspect to something that is too amazing to be embraced in any time period, whether we call it a season or a holiday or a celebration.

I could see the lights and hear the music and love the corny movies on TV EVERY DAY OF EVERY YEAR, because they invoke in me, WHENEVER THEY APPEAR, the desire to smile at The crestfallen, shop for the soup kitchen, speak for the marginalized.

I extend my warmest concerns and best wishes for a cheerful, productive, and generous day, WHATEVER the season OR the advertising to those who feel otherwise. 

Hi, @violann!❤️   Wasn't that quote something special, and so intriguing to see when it was published.   Love your post!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Malcontent wrote:

You didn’t miss anything, and what’s odd about it is… I posted it.  

Why is that odd? 

Can someone explain the point of this thread because obviously I'm not the only one going "WTH is this about?"

Is it a full moon tonight?

Free association, maybe, @SahmIam?   Turned out to be such an interesting discussion.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I have to say this is an interesting thread in that it has meandered along some interesting byways of conversation and I have been lost several times! Lol

To continue on the meandering road, Happy Thursday everyone. Thursday night football, so I won’t be seeing Christmas programming or hearing Christmas music tonight!

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

I have to say this is an interesting thread in that it has meandered along some interesting byways of conversation and I have been lost several times! Lol

To continue on the meandering road, Happy Thursday everyone. Thursday night football, so I won’t be seeing Christmas programming or hearing Christmas music tonight!

Happy Thursday, @SunValley!😊