Trusted Contributor

Re: Just A Reminder: Christmas Starts On The 25th

@sunshine45 wrote:

tree goes up the weekend of thanksgiving, tree comes down after epiphany.

no reason to not keep the "tidings of great joy" and the beauty of the season going for a while. LOVE the look, especially the christmas tree. it brings me great peace, warmth, and solitude.

My sentiments exactly, @sunshine45- I do the same, though now I just have the small tabletop tree, decorative candles, card hanger, the nativity and door wreath.  

Besides my beautiful faith aspects of the season, I have so many wonderful memories of Christmas from the past to reflect upon. I see no reason to rush it all away. 

Is QVC confusing the Twelve Days of Christmas as prior to, rather than following? I don’t watch enough to know, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Not the first retailer to do so in order to promote “sales.” Well, that is what they're in business to do and I don’t base my cheer on the commercialization, though I do enjoy gift giving. It's nice to have the shopping out of the way, early enough to relax and enjoy the season with no bustling about. I found a few nice gifts here and the gift bags which are so convenient. They arrived in short order and I'm thankful. 😊

Honored Contributor

It's not clear to me all the harping and/or fear about "rules" and being afraid of being judged.  

Some of the posts are simply informative.  What anyone does with that information is their own business.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

When I was a child we never put up a tree until a few days before Chritmas. It stayed up until the Feast ot the Epiphany on Januarey 6. We have a beautiful cathedral in my hometown and the altar with the beautiful Nativity is not revealed until 12-24 at Midnight Mass. The Christmas season begins on 12-25 according to the liturgical calendar. For this reason I find the nonsense about saying Merry Chrstmas in November to be a ploy for the commercialization of Christmas. it has nothing to do with the real meaning of Christmas. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Some Christians (orthodox) celebrate Christmas on January 7.  They follow the old calendar.  

Christ was actually born in the spring...figured out through astronomy.  I wish they would move the Christian Christmas celebration to a spring month and let Santa Claus and the retailers have their December celebration.

@Carmie  It will never happen because it would conflict with Easter. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3the liturgical year goes from the brightest time of the year , which is the feast of St John the Baptist ,after this feast  the days begin to  wane( I must decrease ,He must increase) When Christ comes to to us as the Light of the world, it is during the darkesst period( the shortest time of the year for daylight.) As we approach lent ,the days are longer again.

The Church Calendar was carefully constructed. I think they knew what they were doing. The Vatican has an observatory

There is also something to do with the Feast of St Sylvester( if my memory serves me correctly ) that has to do with Christ's natal day

Respected Contributor

Great discussion whether you agree with most or not.

We are to treat everyday as if it were Christmas .... ask yourself, why were you put on this Earth in the first place.   Since Christmas Day was decided by men who chose a pagan holiday for the celebration, I am not offended by those who only focus on decorations & gifts as the reason for the season on the 25th.  Scholars have pinpointed Spring as the time of His birth.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Cakers3the liturgical year goes from the brightest time of the year , which is the feast of St John the Baptist ,after this feast  the days begin to  wane( I must decrease ,He must increase) When Christ comes to to us as the Light of the world, it is during the darkesst period( the shortest time of the year for daylight.) As we approach lent ,the days are longer again.

The Church Calendar was carefully constructed. I think they knew what they were doing. The Vatican has an observatory

There is also something to do with the Feast of St Sylvester( if my memory serves me correctly ) that has to do with Christ's natal day

Ah, I don't think so.  Christmas Day was chosen because a pagan solar celebration was celebrated on that day.  It was thought that by choosing this day it would be easier to convert the pegans to Christianity.  Ancient humans knew a lot about the solar system.  They followed it for their everyday life...when to plant, when to harvest and they worshiped the heavens long before Christ was born.

I actually learned this in Catholic school in religion class. 

Honored Contributor

REV Know It all has a far differnt account

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Ah, I don't think so.  Christmas Day was chosen because a pagan solar celebration was celebrated on that day.  It was thought that by choosing this day it would be easier to convert the pegans to Christianity.  Ancient humans knew a lot about the solar system.  They followed it for their everyday life...when to plant, when to harvest and they worshiped the heavens long before Christ was born.

I actually learned this in Catholic school in religion class. 

This is true, @Carmie.

The Winter Solstice is the Pagan holiday. Yuletide has it's roots in pagan celebration. Yuletide was changed to Christmastide  with the Christian reformulation of pagan beliefs. 

Scholars believe Christ was born in the spring. The December date set by early Christians to celebrate his birth was done to influence those who celebrated the Winter Solstice into accepting Christianity.

Many of the traditions now celebrated for Christmas have roots in pagan celebrations.

Honored Contributor

All of that is open to interpetation. I have read as much that disagrees, and gives historical reasons ,names ,and dates, as those who claim other wise