Honored Contributor

Re: Jussie Smollett Heading Back to Jail?

@Lakelife62 wrote:

Do the crime, do the time. That goes for all crooks, regardless of their background or status.

Unfortunately, some crooks enjoy living free and creating more commotion while awaiting trial. You can be sure the poor and uninfluential, who's crimes may have been petty, sit in the slammer until their date with justice.

His crime was about as petty as a crime can be.  He's the one who turned it into a big deal.  It was a misdemeanor.  If he'd admitted he lied when he got caught

Apologized.  Blamed it on depression.  It would have been a fine, maybe some community service.  

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Lakelife62 wrote:

Do the crime, do the time. That goes for all crooks, regardless of their background or status.

Unfortunately, some crooks enjoy living free and creating more commotion while awaiting trial. You can be sure the poor and uninfluential, who's crimes may have been petty, sit in the slammer until their date with justice.

His crime was about as petty as a crime can be.  He's the one who turned it into a big deal.  It was a misdemeanor.  If he'd admitted he lied when he got caught

Apologized.  Blamed it on depression.  It would have been a fine, maybe some community service.  

I think he is the type who believes his own lies. Hopefully he will get the help he needs. While he should pay for his crime, I'm not an advocate of locking him up and throwing away the key. I sincerely hope he will be resuming his work and moving past this bizarre behavior.

Respected Contributor

What is really strange is he was a successful recording artist and a good actor, had so much going for him, for what?

Respected Contributor

@Estellee   I think he is suffering with mental illness and needs help.

I hope he finds it and peace.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Frequent Contributor

The mere fact that he claimed he was going to "SUBWAY AT 2AM" in below zero temps should have raised eyebrows

Respected Contributor

Wish he would be ordered to reimburse the city of Chicago for the cost of using law enforcement to deal with his fake story. Chicago could sorely use that money elsewhere. I predict his entire story will be a TV movie that pushes whatever his agenda was for pulling this stunt. The cast members and directors/ producers are probably already busy putting it together. He is not the great actor he thinks he is, since pretty much everyone saw right thru his story immediately. Zero sympathy from me. He has a lot of growing up to do.

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Wish he would be ordered to reimburse the city of Chicago for the cost of using law enforcement to deal with his fake story. Chicago could sorely use that money elsewhere. I predict his entire story will be a TV movie that pushes whatever his agenda was for pulling this stunt. The cast members and directors/ producers are probably already busy putting it together. He is not the great actor he thinks he is, since pretty much everyone saw right thru his story immediately. Zero sympathy from me. He has a lot of growing up to do.

I think you are wrong about all of that.  There's no story, no tragedy, no victim, nothing of interest.  It's not tv movie material.  Only he knows what his agenda or reason for the lie was.  He hasn't disclosed why he did it.  It wasn't the crime of the century.  It was just a man who seems to have some mental health issues who destroyed his career for reasons known only to him.  Law enforcement actually didn't spend much on his story.  As I recall, they knew almost from the beginning that it was a ruse.  It just didn't make any sense.  

Trusted Contributor

That’s what I was thinking, he had a job that paid extremely well. However in my eyes he has no excuse. He was a privileged person who used taxpayer money for his nonsense. He needs to pay.
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I think you are wrong about all of that.  There's no story, no tragedy, no victim, nothing of interest.  It's not tv movie material.  Only he knows what his agenda or reason for the lie was.  He hasn't disclosed why he did it.  It wasn't the crime of the century.  It was just a man who seems to have some mental health issues who destroyed his career for reasons known only to him.  Law enforcement actually didn't spend much on his story.  As I recall, they knew almost from the beginning that it was a ruse.  It just didn't make any sense.  

Disagree that there was no harm.  He caused a great deal of racial division.  The press, at first, went wild with the story that MAGA folks were attacking innocent black men on the street out of race hatred.

It furthered a very divisive - and false - race hatred narrative.  It was not an innocent no harm no foul prank.

Regular Contributor

I'm also here in Chi land. Didn't K. Fox play a huge role in his jail sentence or lack there of? I agree, it is for sure a $#!¥show. This was an absolute mess 🤦🏻‍♀️