Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I was the foreman of a grand jury on a murder case. We "got" to see the crime scene photos.

Haven't been called since....

@YorkieonmyPillow it was likely just a Jury and not a Grand Jury......LOL.

How do you know - were you there?

For your information it was a GRAND JURY. We were handing down indictments.

Understand? 

"LOL"

I won't be losing any sleep over it, I can tell you that.  When you said foreperson, I aSSumed you were speaking about a jury in trial case.  So, with that said.....good for you @YorkieonmyPillow.

What bothered me was that the DA, or in this case, the Commonwealth Attorney, basically told us which ones he wanted indictments on. Instead of actually looking at the evidence as to whether there was enough cause for an indictment, they just went along with him!

I found that disturbing, to say the least.....it's like they were all intimidated by him.

That isn't the way it's supposed to work...

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

I served once on the grand jury.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Different from what you see on TV dramas.  I was called again recently, but due to my age I was excused and I do have medical issues which would have kept me off. 

However, if I was younger, I would do it again in a heartbeat!

@Patriot3 was it jury duty or grand jury duty?  They are different.  

I know they are different.  If you note in my original post, I said grand jury.  The other one is called petit jury.  The grand jury decides whether a case should go to the petit jury.

@Patriot3 ok then.  The terms you use a little different.  My understanding is that a Grand Jury hears cases for the purpose of indictments.  Jury Duty (criminal or civil) is where the pick the 6 or 12 jurors for a trial by jury.

@itiswhatitis  That's just what I said.  Look up Petit Jury and see what it says.  I don't think you know what a Petit Jury is.  That is the legal term.  And, the term "jury duty" can apply to Grand Jury or Petit Jury.  They are both "jury duty". 

@Patriot3 you are right.  In all my years of service and dismissal within the NYS system I have never, ever heard the term 'petit."  I kid you not.  Honest here.  I had to google petit.......As it relates to serving on any kind of jury.  Though I am familiar with the term when it comes to larceny.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I was the foreman of a grand jury on a murder case. We "got" to see the crime scene photos.

Haven't been called since....

@YorkieonmyPillow it was likely just a Jury and not a Grand Jury......LOL.

How do you know - were you there?

For your information it was a GRAND JURY. We were handing down indictments.

Understand? 

"LOL"

I won't be losing any sleep over it, I can tell you that.  When you said foreperson, I aSSumed you were speaking about a jury in trial case.  So, with that said.....good for you @YorkieonmyPillow.

What bothered me was that the DA, or in this case, the Commonwealth Attorney, basically told us which ones he wanted indictments on. Instead of actually looking at the evidence as to whether there was enough cause for an indictment, they just went along with him!

I found that disturbing, to say the least.....it's like they were all intimidated by him.

That isn't the way it's supposed to work...

This is the kind of service I'd prefer.  Even though years ago I chose Civil Court for Jurty Duty, so I don't ever get called for Criminal Cases.  I'd prefer Grand Jurty Duty (which is what we call it in NYC) @YorkieonmyPillow.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis  It wasn't bad at all. The only thing that bothered me is that, as I said, the others were just doing what they were told!  Yikes

Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@itiswhatitis  It wasn't bad at all. The only thing that bothered me is that, as I said, the others were just doing what they were told!  Yikes

I find it all so interesting.  Only a couple of times did I get excusals at the behest of my employer at the time.  When I worked for the State, I never had a problem serving.  I don't mind going in for service.  The ony thing I hate is being shuffled around @YorkieonmyPillow.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis

I will see if I can explain it. Was sent Certified Letters each time I was called. The 1st time was in the 1970's. Our County Jury Panel is for 2 weeks. During that period of time I sat on 3 different trials, and all of them went to deliberation. I was the Foreman on 1 of those 3 trials.

I do not remember the exact year that I was sent Certified Letters for 2 different Jury Duty dates. I called and asked about which was the correct date, as they were separated by only a 2 week period. I was asked "which panel do you wish to serve"? I replied "I want to serve on both panels", and the said that was surprising, as many try to avoid serving.

My name came up on my Voter Registration, and also my State Drivers License. That is how I was called to serve on 2 different Jury Panels. Best I can do on that explanation.

What I do remember is that I sat on 2 complete Jury Trials during that first 2 week Jury Panel. I was the Foreman on both of them, 1 a Criminal Trial, the other a Civil Trial. This panel was one I will never forget because of some of the Jurist on that panel. To refer to them in my usual way would not pass community standards here.

The last Jury Panel I sat on 4 complete Jury Trials, all went to deliberation. Of those 4, 3 of them were Civil Trials and the other a Criminal Trial. I was selected Foreman on 3 of those trials. I remember every trial on which I sat, and several I was not excepted during Voir Dire.

Best I can do to explain what was a long time ago, but experiences that taught me the complexities of what goes on in Real Life Trials. Also the why some juries are so unpredictable, in spite of strong evidence on either side of the case they are hearing. Were I to be charged with a felony and a trial? No jury for me, a Judge would decide my outcome.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@itiswhatitis

I will see if I can explain it. Was sent Certified Letters each time I was called. The 1st time was in the 1970's. Our County Jury Panel is for 2 weeks. During that period of time I sat on 3 different trials, and all of them went to deliberation. I was the Foreman on 1 of those 3 trials.

I do not remember the exact year that I was sent Certified Letters for 2 different Jury Duty dates. I called and asked about which was the correct date, as they were separated by only a 2 week period. I was asked "which panel do you wish to serve"? I replied "I want to serve on both panels", and the said that was surprising, as many try to avoid serving.

My name came up on my Voter Registration, and also my State Drivers License. That is how I was called to serve on 2 different Jury Panels. Best I can do on that explanation.

What I do remember is that I sat on 2 complete Jury Trials during that first 2 week Jury Panel. I was the Foreman on both of them, 1 a Criminal Trial, the other a Civil Trial. This panel was one I will never forget because of some of the Jurist on that panel. To refer to them in my usual way would not pass community standards here.

The last Jury Panel I sat on 4 complete Jury Trials, all went to deliberation. Of those 4, 3 of them were Civil Trials and the other a Criminal Trial. I was selected Foreman on 3 of those trials. I remember every trial on which I sat, and several I was not excepted during Voir Dire.

Best I can do to explain what was a long time ago, but experiences that taught me the complexities of what goes on in Real Life Trials. Also the why some juries are so unpredictable, in spite of strong evidence on either side of the case they are hearing. Were I to be charged with a felony and a trial? No jury for me, a Judge would decide my outcome.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, I hear ya.  I've learned about different terminology used in various states today.  I find jury duty interesting though.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

SydneyH:  It may be relevant to you and that's why you can petition to be excluded.  Read what I said about that.

But, it's not relevant to the law that requires you to answer the notice.  If you don't, you most likely will be in the hands of the local enforcement agents who will bring you to court.  And I suspect that the judge will not be happy to see you.

Beyond that, discussion over.

The discussion is not over BECAUSE you failed to read what I wrote.  I will report as required, since I feel it's my duty to do so AND I'm not going to fudge any exceptions, it is what it is.   I truly hope this clears up your concerns about the matter.  No need to fret over a judge or police either, all will be well.

Respected Contributor

Every couple of years.

I hated jury duty.

I know that is the wrong attitude but it gives me panic attacks.

It was a huge city with a lot of criminals.

If they recognize you, you are toast!

Thank goodness I am out of there.

Trusted Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

How often has anyone been called?  I just received a notice for a courthouse that is on the other side of my county.   Soo not feelin' the call to serve.

I had to call the evening before to see if I had to go in in both instances, and I did. I was on "stand-by." I made it as far as the courtroom for one case but then wasn't needed as there were enough jurors chosen so I was excused and could leave then.