Esteemed Contributor

I was the foreman of a grand jury on a murder case. We "got" to see the crime scene photos.

Haven't been called since....

Esteemed Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper, Absolutely there are legitmate and undisputable reasons why some people cannot serve on a jury, but being inconvenienced should not be on that list.  

@YorkieonmyPillow, No doubt there are some gruesome things one must listen to and see being a juror for a murder trial, but I can tell you from personal experience, the family of the victim appreciates every second you sat there. Thanks to you, and all the others on this thread who have answered their summons (whether chosen or not). 

Respected Contributor

I've been called a few times.  For me, it's a major inconvenience.

Honored Contributor

Maybe jury duty should be voluntary?

For those who are down on their luck/homeless,

they could come in & make some money.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Maybe jury duty should be voluntary?

For those who are down on their luck/homeless,

they could come in & make some money.

If jury duty was voluntary, there would be a real problem trying to get people to serve.  People don't show up and it's not voluntary.  LOL  Most people do not want to do this.

As far as the rest, there are so many problems with that thought, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

The idea of having full-time jurors has been thrown about. 

After sitting in a room for a half of day with others waiting to see if we were needed, I decided that if I were ever involved in a lawsuit, I would never want a jury trial because people are just......never mind.  But I'd take my chances with a judge.  

Respected Contributor

SydneyH:  It may be relevant to you and that's why you can petition to be excluded.  Read what I said about that.

But, it's not relevant to the law that requires you to answer the notice.  If you don't, you most likely will be in the hands of the local enforcement agents who will bring you to court.  And I suspect that the judge will not be happy to see you.

Beyond that, discussion over.

Honored Contributor

Here they will come and get you if you ignore the jury summons. Some are fined or other punishments.

Some are excused by mail to serve (they sent in the questionaire why they legitimately can't). Then there are those that come that day and give all the reasons they can't, or say something really outrageous to get excused. I just served and all these excuses took a very long time to go through. Pretty much all were excused. It was ridiculous IMO. Most were hardships and childcare excuses. Well, they could have put those reasons on the summons when they mailed it back. I think it wastes everyone's time.

Jury duty should not be volunteer, or have full-time jurors IMO.

Contributor

This is an interesting thread, I'm enjoing all the stories!  Here is mine : this was about 20 years ago, it is over an hour drive each way to Courthouse.  There was no parking - absolutelly none, parking garage under construction, and on street parking did not exist.  Our judge advised everyone of this (after we'd already found this out), and he advised us to arrive VERY early to search for parking.  Luckily, hubs was able to drop me off, and pick me up.

It was a medical type case, and I can't believe it even made it too a jury trail.  Never the less - it lasted over two weeks, and was a complete disruption to my job. 

There was a shooting about a year prior in this courthouse, and they had just installed metal detectors.  I'm not sure if they were not calibrated correctly, or if the guards weren't doing it correctly - but almost every single person set this thing off - leading to a huge log jam of people.

Some of the people were another story ... that was a bit frustrating, some of them acted like they'd never been in public before.

It was interesting though, I'm glad I did it once - hope I never get called again.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

How often has anyone been called?  I just received a notice for a courthouse that is on the other side of my county.   Soo not feelin' the call to serve.

@SydneyH  I am called almost every year, but havn't served.  One year, I was called four times, all at different courthouses, and of course, that is illegal, can only call a person once a year here.

Honored Contributor
I don't know how many times I've been summoned. I always serve. Sat on a murder case and was sequestered overnight. Sat on another case, defendant made or took the deal while the jury was deliberating. All other times, I never sat on a case. In NYC, once you serve - you don't get called again for many years with a letter stating that fact. I just received a form a few months ago from the justice dept. I guess the summons will come soon.