Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@hckynut John, I found your description of election duty so interesting because I've never heard of mandated work at voting sites. Do you mind saying what state you live in?

@shoesnbags - I'm curious too.  I thought any election duty is volunteer only; maybe compensated, but always volunteer.

AND they make them perform manual labor setting up the booths.  

You know what for that!

In the town where we reside and also in the previous town, working Election Day was a sought after job.  The workers, (the same ones had been doing it forever) were well compensated.  They had lunch, dinner and snacks, catered by local restaurants. They did not set up or take down the voting booths and machines.  I've been told there is a long waiting list to get these coveted jobs.

Valued Contributor

Get called all the time and at this point, I'm ready to give the jury clerk a few names of people that have never served, lol. Seems when my free get out of jury time is up, sure enough that summons appears a week later in my mail box. I've been called twice in the last 4 months, November & Feb. and we serve a whole month at a time in our county. Meanwhile, know people that have lived here for years, regular voters and have never been called once.  I've only been called in one federal case and it was a 6+ month case. Got out of it because I'm single and my income is the only income in my household. It was OK at first but think as a citizen I've done my jury time and hope some other people in my county start getting called. 

Valued Contributor

@CalMom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I used to get them every year.  EVERY YEAR, sometimes twice, to two different courts.  Then I had to go through a lot of hoopla getting out of the second one by proving I already served that year.

I hate it for various reasons.  I've seen people with very valid reasons who were not able to postpone, and that really makes me angry.

Where we serve is in a very bad neighborhood, there was nowhere to eat lunch except a filthy McDonalds, and parking was next to impossible and very expensive.

I went, I served on juries, and in a minute I would vote for taxes for a better place, and one with childcare.  Other areas have childcare, I saw a woman report for duty, crying.  Her mother was to take care of the kids, but was hospitalized, she brought the kids in with her.  They gave her hades. What could she have done?  Nothing.  It was a last minute family emergency.  Horrible.

I believe that you are not eligible to receive another summons for at least a year after your last one.

You may still get a summons and in my county if they're in dire straights (its  in the fine print) you may have to serve but usually you're excused. 

Frequent Contributor

I just received a summons for jury duty.  It is a big inconvenience, but I understand it is my civic responsibility.  I have been called three times before.  One time, some woman wanted to get out of it so she carried on to the judge about how she couldn't serve because of her eyesight - she said she "could hardly see the hand in front of her face."  So the judge asked her how she got to the court that day, and she replied that she drove her car there.  The judge just shook his head and dismissed her.  But I was so incensed by this "wise-aleck" that I if I were the judge, I would have said, "Ok, you're excused and now that's going to cost you a $1000 fine for being a smart-***. 

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@hckynut John, I found your description of election duty so interesting because I've never heard of mandated work at voting sites. Do you mind saying what state you live in?

@shoesnbags

I live in Nebraska. Here they use what are called "draftees" along with some volunteers. If called, it is required by Statel Law that you attend if drafted.

As I said in my other post, I know only how they do it in my County in the State of Nebraska. I did get paid and at that time I think the clerks and judges(which is what I was considered)were paid $10.Inspectors and Supervisors were getting $25.

A long day for not a lot of money. They did also pay mileage for the based distance from your registered address to the 

Polling Place. For me it was 3 miles each way, so it didn't add up to much.

What they do in other States? I have no idea. I am only recounting exactly what I was required, by law, to do when called for Election Duty. I found that most working at the same location as was l? Most all were retired and there were very few men.

Was never more than 3 men, including myself, and we always were tasked with the assembly and taking down the voting booths. The woman usually left after the Polls closed and a little paperwork. The men were close to the last dismissed to head home, and that was done by their Supervisor or Inspector. I can assure you I received nowhere close to $100 for those days I worked?

For those that like that kind of work, I say Go for It! 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Got called twice and they did not pick me.  I was upset.  I wanted to be on a jury.  But in my case, we live rural so the path to the courthouse was not all that bad.  

Now I am too old.... they have an age limit.  I guess in my next life.

Honored Contributor

I've been summon twice.  First time they called my number and I had to go.  I ended up on a jury, but the trial lasted one day. They gave me $15.00 for my trouble (and lunch)  Second time was very recently.  I was summoned again, but this time my number never came up on the website and I was excused (to be picked up at random in 2017)   On the other hand, my husband and none of my siblings have ever been summon for jury duty.  It seems like they pick on me! 

The trial that I was on jury was a waste of taxpayers money.  A 29 year old woman carrying her 9 month old son was "accosted" her word (flashed) by a naked man.  She promptly placed charges. She also by coincidence worked for a law firm!  We found him guilty (well he was a flasher) I don't think she was harmed mentally.  The infant was her child so she had seen a ****** before. Anyway the jury wanted leniency for the guy.  Whether he got it, don't know as we were dismissed before sentencing.   

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

The trial that I was on jury was a waste of taxpayers money.  A 29 year old woman carrying her 9 month old son was "accosted" her word (flashed) by a naked man.  She promptly placed charges. She also by coincidence worked for a law firm!  We found him guilty (well he was a flasher) I don't think she was harmed mentally.  The infant was her child so she had seen a ****** before. Anyway the jury wanted leniency for the guy.  Whether he got it, don't know as we were dismissed before sentencing.   

He committed a crime & was charged for that crime.

Why was it a 'waste of taxpayers money?'

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i have been a registered voter since i was 18.......i am now 53 years old. in all of my life i have only ever been asked to serve ONCE. i went in on the day required and they didnt need me because all of the cases were settled out of court.

Same thing with me. I have had a DL since I was 16 and a registered since 18 and I am now 46 and I have only been called on once but I did serve on the jury. I am actually a little disappointed, I find it interesting and wouldn't mind at all.

I will say my experience made me realize how much time is wasted in the legal system and I find it to be totally inefficient. Appallingly so. 

It is also shocking how many completely bogus lawsuits are clogging up the system.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I've been summon twice.  First time they called my number and I had to go.  I ended up on a jury, but the trial lasted one day. They gave me $15.00 for my trouble (and lunch)  Second time was very recently.  I was summoned again, but this time my number never came up on the website and I was excused (to be picked up at random in 2017)   On the other hand, my husband and none of my siblings have ever been summon for jury duty.  It seems like they pick on me! 

@songbird

What's the problem?

You think flashing should not be a crime?

Or...

You think the man didn't deserve a trial?