Honored Contributor

i have been a registered voter since i was 18.......i am now 53 years old. in all of my life i have only ever been asked to serve ONCE. i went in on the day required and they didnt need me because all of the cases were settled out of court.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:
The first one I ever got, I wrote on the questionnaire that I had a newborn baby and no one to watch him. I was excused. I got another one two months later. I guess he could take care of himself by then lol

Oh my goodness!  Thanks for the chuckle.   I guess your little one should have been in college, or married, by then.  Smiley Happy

Noel - Wow, that's some scary stuff!   Just wow.  I felt exposed enough having to say my whole name and be asked SOME personal questions, inm front of all those people.  But that's beyond the pale, IMO, to have to practically give your address to this alleged killer.   SMH

Vansleepy, well, in the soaps their kids are all grown up and in college in what seems like just a few months.  What were you doing wrong that your child was only 2 months old 2 months after he was born????!

hahah! Smiley Wink  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I served once.  It was a local murder trial.  Lovers triangle and lover killed the husband so he could have the wife to himself.  Actually, I think she played him to get rid of the husband.

Anyway, she testified against him during the trial so it didn't turn out too well for him.  He's in for life.  She served 10-20 and is out now.  Funny how she turned to G o d after  planning and helping her boyfriend murder her husband.  I'm sure we were all supposed to notice her crucifix during testimony, which we all did.  It really swayed us.  I'm being sarcastic.

Anyway, I was told by a courthouse worker that I'd never be called again, having learned too much by serving in that trial.  Did get summoned for Fed court 5 years later, told them of my experience and they never contacted me again.  Guess I'm no longer needed.  Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

Once when I was at jury selection, the judge asked if anyone felt they should be excused.  The lady sitting in front of me raised her hand.  The judge asked her to approach the bench and asked her why she thought she should be excused.  In a very loud voice with a very heavy southern accent, she said, "Well, I figure if they've made it this far, they're guilty".  She was excused.

Esteemed Contributor

I get a jury duty summons about every 2 years, but for about the last 8 years haven't had to report to the courthouse, I just call in to see if I am needed, and usually I am released from having to call in by Wednesday.

I've been on two juries; one for drug possession and one for murder.

Hung jury in the drug possession case.

The murder trial lasted almost 2 months but it was fascinating. There were two defendants and two juries in the courtroom at the same time, although sometimes one jury couldn't hear what evidence was be presented and the jury would have to leave when that evidence was being presented about the other defendant.  They murdered one person and shot the other one in the head and left him for dead but he survived with brain damage.  The victims were football players at a local college and were out making a drug deal on a Friday night.

As awful as the whole murder/attempted murder/drug deal was, the horrifying (for me) part was when we were in jury deliberations and 2 or 3 people had the attitude of well he is guilty why bother going over the judge's instructions lets just vote him guilty of murder and attempted murder.  Fortunately the rest of the jury didn't feel the same way and we took our instructions seriously and found our defendant guilty of attempted murder and accessory to murder.  It was disturbing to me to hear someone say they didn't want to bother with weighing the evidence.  One woman actually said well he is guilty of something so why bother?

The reassuring aspect was that the rest of us took our duty seriously, and even though we each separately thought he was guilty as charged, followed the judge's instructions to the letter.  We found him guilty of attempted murder (he pulled the trigger with the guy who survived) and accessory to murder, because the evidence wasn't there to convict him of murder to the degree he was charged.  He also had the 3 strikes law working against him so at least he was going away for a very long time.  If I remember correctly, it was something like 30 years to life without the possibility of parole.  The other defendant got life in prison without parole, if I am remembering it correctly.

I also got to the voir dire process for someone who was having the penalty phase of his conviction retried.  It was a death penalty case.

This person had kidnapped two women, taken them into the woods, shot them, buried them and left them for dead.  One woman survived.  I don't remember the details of why the penalty phase was being retried; his conviction and original sentencing had been several years prior to this.

It was a very unsettling feeling being questioned by his lawyer and having the defendant look at me, knowing what he has done to women.  I wasn't selected for that jury, and I am grateful I wasn't.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to be on a jury, and overall found it a positive experience.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to get them from time to time. The last time I got one was 6 years ago when I was going through daily radiation for breast cancer. My Dr. wrote an excuse and they haven't bothered me since.

My husband wants to go to jury duty so bad. But when he got the summons (4 different times) after filling out the form etc etc. it said to call the night before and check his number. Well hes done this four times and his number wasn't called so he never had to go!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

You might a million reasons(excuses), but very few would work in the County in which I live. 

Do you just "hate it" when you get the summons, or do you serve? Up to you if that is a TMI to you, and if so, I certainly understand.

hckynut(john)

-------

Oh sorry you didn't get this. I was being funny about how people have many reasons for not wanting to serve but how lucky we are to live in the USA. I am also a Navy Vet so I have served that way also.

@Nancy Drew

Thanks for your reply. Guess I difn't get the humor part as it seems more people have asked me how to get out of it. I would tell them to reply to the summons saying I would take there place(that is a joke). Just don't get why so many people want to dodge Jury Duty. Election Duty, yes, I served on that more times than I care to remember. 

Once I retired I got called for every election. I finally called and asked to get off of being called and give others a chance to do their Civic Duty. Haven't been called since, and I am happy. Was like a rat race every election at my Polling Place. Presidential Elections were a nightmare. Get there at 5am and work at times till midnight.

Thank you for your service in the United States Navy. I joined the United States Army when I was 18 and am also a Vet.  

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'm 60 and have been called only once.  For an arson case.  My husband was a firefighter in the same county and I figured I'd be excused because of that.  Well..... I wasn't and i served.  3 day trial.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@hckynut - what the heck is election duty?

I've never heard of that before.  I always thought people just volunteered for that.

Honored Contributor

I  enjoy the process. I am finally getting summoned about every 2 years. I want to be on a jury.