Esteemed Contributor

@151949 - They also use your Driver's License 

Respected Contributor

States used merged lists - voter registration, driver's license, and state IDs

Esteemed Contributor

Nope, it is pretty hard to be excused from Jury Duty these days. If you are a teacher they postpone you until the Summer, etc. If you want to be excused or postponed, you go before the Judge and he decides and the Clerk makes all the notes - trust me, they are not letting anyone go if they have to. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Frosted Cake - We get a questionnaire to fill out also - they ask a lot of questions. Then when you get to the court room, they call your name - you stand, give your # and your spouses name, job information, etc. all in front of a room of strangers. And, yet, everyone was very forthcoming with names, company names, etc. Then we went to another court room and they just started picking numbers. And, if you have car problems, the sheriff will gladly transport you to & fro - LOL

Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

I can come up with a million reasons myself. I hate when I get the summons but it is the pric we pay for living in The USA.

@Jackaranda 

You might a million reasons(excuses), but very few would work in the County in which I live. 

Do you just "hate it" when you get the summons, or do you serve? Up to you if that is a TMI to you, and if so, I certainly understand.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I did have to fill out the questionaire online. Presently serving for the first time. County Grand Jury weekly through the end of June!  Huge hassle and parking expense. Just started, cannot wait until it's over.

Honored Contributor

I have been called numerous times and I am not registered to vote.We were also invited to George Bush inauguration and ball...go figure.I have the invitation framed.We are Canadian so can't serve on the jury and don't know how we got the invite to the ball which was only a couple of months after our move to the USA.I don't think security was very tight on those invitations or how was that mistake was made.We have a very unusual spelling of our last name and I can't find another with that spelling in any searches.

Honored Contributor

I live in NYC and had jury duty last September. I think they can call you every 4 years. Luckily they only held us who didn't get chosen 1 day. I took public transportation, it was just easier.

Honored Contributor

I was on the grand jury when our boys were very young.  The atty's secretary had to come get me because DH had to pick them up.  It was at the time cell phones were in a suit case!

Then, I got a notice and we were excused over the phone when I called in.

About four days ago, I got as far as attorneys choosing us, and got excused for a funeral.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

I can come up with a million reasons myself. I hate when I get the summons but it is the pric we pay for living in The USA.

@Jackaranda 

You might a million reasons(excuses), but very few would work in the County in which I live. 

Do you just "hate it" when you get the summons, or do you serve? Up to you if that is a TMI to you, and if so, I certainly understand.

hckynut(john)

-------

Oh sorry you didn't get this. I was being funny about how people have many reasons for not wanting to serve but how lucky we are to live in the USA. I am also a Navy Vet so I have served that way also.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.