Honored Contributor

Noel - It's awful that woman was treated so badly!  It's clear that she had two choices at that point - either bring the kids or not show up and be in contempt.    At least she tried but what's the point of treating her badly just because things went south on her and her only viable choice, other than having a warrant out for her arrest, was to bring the kidlets.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

My husband and I have been summoned several times, but always excused; his health issues would make it a hardship for him to serve, plus we are related to several local law enforcement officers.   

Respected Contributor

It is a questionnaire, so of course they ask you questions as to your age and employment.  If you are over age 70 you don't have to serve. 

I have had to show up 3 times for jury duty.  Nobody loves it, but it is an obligation. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Noel - It's awful that woman was treated so badly!  It's clear that she had two choices at that point - either bring the kids or not show up and be in contempt.    At least she tried but what's the point of treating her badly just because things went south on her and her only viable choice, other than having a warrant out for her arrest, was to bring the kidlets.  Smiley Sad

Hi @chickenbutt

I know!  I have several other horror stories re: jury duty, but I'll try to restrain myself Smiley Happy

I don't have to go anymore because lupus is so unpredictable, they wouldn't be able to count on me.  My RA told me that and he wrote them a note.  I've gone so many times, though, I did my duty and am left ticked off at the system.

I was almost on a cartel shooting case and they made people stand up in front of the perp to say what part of town we lived in.  WTH?  I got excused from that one because they asked if anyone there supported gun control and I raised my hand.  Only one other person did that.  I was shocked when they said I had an automatic discharge, or whatever they called it.  I hadn't planed it, but who the heck wants to be on a jury where it was about a drug cartel killing?  Not I.

Respected Contributor
The first one I ever got, I wrote on the questionnaire that I had a newborn baby and no one to watch him. I was excused. I got another one two months later. I guess he could take care of himself by then lol
Esteemed Contributor

I have never been summoned in my 50-something year old life!....and I would LOVE to serve on a jury. Go figure! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:
The first one I ever got, I wrote on the questionnaire that I had a newborn baby and no one to watch him. I was excused. I got another one two months later. I guess he could take care of himself by then lol

@VanSleepy

LOL!  Sounds like your area has the same mentality as mine.

Respected Contributor

Our courthouse is beautiful.

I've been called a few times, but always excused.

I was a court reporter, and my dad is a retured judge.  I would love to serve on a jury though. 

Honored Contributor

VanSleepy wrote:

Oh my goodness!  Thanks for the chuckle.   I guess your little one should have been in college, or married, by then.  Smiley Happy

Noel - Wow, that's some scary stuff!   Just wow.  I felt exposed enough having to say my whole name and be asked SOME personal questions, inm front of all those people.  But that's beyond the pale, IMO, to have to practically give your address to this alleged killer.   SMH

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

Oh my goodness!  Thanks for the chuckle.   I guess your little one should have been in college, or married, by then.  Smiley Happy

Noel - Wow, that's some scary stuff!   Just wow.  I felt exposed enough having to say my whole name and be asked SOME personal questions, inm front of all those people.  But that's beyond the pale, IMO, to have to practically give your address to this alleged killer.   SMH

Yes, some years later and it still shocks me.