Valued Contributor

Re: Jury Duty Summons AGAIN...

[ Edited ]

I would try to be proactive and talk to your doctor.  If that doesn't work -- hopefully you won't have to go.  I had jury duty scheduled at the end of May.  I had to call the night before to see if I had to go.  I didn't.   Also -- I hadn't checked until a few days before I was supposed to go and when I did I found out that masks are no longer required.  I was surprised given that the last time I had jury duty it was a room filled with people sitting basically on top of each other.

Respected Contributor

In my city Sacramento, CA they have never jailed a person for not serving.  

Respected Contributor

I really wouldn't want to go right now. I was on their --- let's irritate her the most list, for a long time. It always frustrated me when so many I knew had never ever been called, even some in their 80's and 90's.  

I support this public service, but I think there needs to be more fair play. They need to reselect, if the name that comes up has been in the last -- say 5 years, or they've been selected several times before, and search for someone who hasn't ever been.

Seems they play the same loop of names over and over. I noticed that at my workplace, too. Those of us who had been a couple of times stayed on the recall list, while others dodged it year after year.

One RN I worked with, who loved JD, was summoned every year, or two. Now why would that happen? Do they somehow keep track of good jury candidates? Makes one wonder. So, @SeaMaiden maybe you made the keeper list :-).  

Honored Contributor

They aren't going to let you use Covid as an excuse, you know  that.  Masks aren't required but you can certainly wear one if you want to.  We're allowed to reschedule for up to a year but only once.  That is what I did when I got my notice in April, rescheduled to April 2023.  The two times I was selected for a trial, they were one day trials.  

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch   Honestly, I have been summoned to go probably 10 times over the last 25years... when I was working my boss would write me a letter to say they needed me as they were a small family owned business and needed me.... I got off several times with that excuse...

then after I retired I did not have that excuse so had to go.. but it was before covid and it was just a few miles away.  Today is a whole different picture... I could bring covid home to my husband. I do not want to be sitting in a room full of strangers for hours waiting for the jury to be picked and going back day after day in the process.   

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

They aren't going to let you use Covid as an excuse, you know  that.  Masks aren't required but you can certainly wear one if you want to.  We're allowed to reschedule for up to a year but only once.  That is what I did when I got my notice in April, rescheduled to April 2023.  The two times I was selected for a trial, they were one day trials.  

If I have no option but to reschedule... I will reschedule in December of 2022.

Respected Contributor

Since living in this state i received a form - after 8 years - to complete and mail back. There was a space for hardship exemptions and wrote i had back and hip pain - cannot sit for extended periods.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

For me serving on a jury was a privilege not a duty. I served 3 different times, all 2 week County Court commitments. The ones I did last were the same, except there was only 2 weeks in between the sessions.

Was on 2 weeks via being a registered voter, and off the next 2 weeks. The next 2 week session was right after that, via being a licensed driver. During those times I sat on 9 Jury panels and was Foreman on 6 of them.

Also served on many Election Committees, 2 of which were for President of the United States. The was no such thing as a rest during those 2 Election Duty commitments. Anyone that has served on these knows it be there in the early morning, and leave there late in the evening.

As for the Virus? I have stated multiple times my feelings about that topic. In our Jury Duty selections, the Virus alone cannot get most removed from serving. There are only a few classifications under being exempt from serving, none of which just  being concerned qualifies for exemption. 

I relished being called and hopefully my name will come up during the time I have left. Until one serves to the conclusion and decision made on either a Civil or Criminal Jury Panel! One can never truly understand what being a participant, not a spectator or TV viewer, is involved in either of these types of trials and the Jury Panel assigned to them.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

My mom recently got a summons for jury duty & I don't know what she said (over the phone), but she got permanately excused from jury duty. She is 71. Maybe she said she had IBS or something.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lots of do nots and will nots in that original post.

Maybe take an Uber since you will not take the bus and do not drive anywhere except local?

If I get called I'll drive there, put on my mask and go in and try to be the best juror I can as I would want that for myself, if I were ever on trial. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?