Respected Contributor

Re: Jury Duty Summons AGAIN...

@SeaMaiden  Most jury summonses allow you to ask for an exemption.  Rather than threaten, just ask for the exemption and explain why.

As for the public transit situation in Seattle, that's a function of how people have voted over the years; same in NYC.  Remember, votes have consequences and you get what you ask for.

Respected Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Serving on a jury is one of the responsibilities of citizenship.If one tries to get out of it because it's inconvenient or one doesn't feel like it, then they have no business complaining or giving input on when others try to get over on the government or on whether somebody deserves something or services provided by the government.. 

How does jury duty have anything to do with the govt.? Besides, why would anyone want someone on their jury that is being forced to be there? They should have jury duty be volunteer. I'm sure alot of people do enjoy doing this. 

Did you not take civics in school? You are called to jury duty by city, state or federal government. Unless you are one of lthose who do nothing than complain about government and see no probllem in taking from it, it is your responsibility. It's in the Constitution. The 6th amendment to be exact.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Jury duty in my small county seat is a nightmare, parking wise. The courthouse parking fills up very quickly, leaving most to try to find parking around the town square. The local businesses hate it--few of them have parking lots, and all the spaces in front of the shops/restaurants are taken up on "court days" by non-customers. I was once picked to be on a jury, and had to park quite a distance from the courthouse. We were picked, and sent to lunch, when we came back we were told that the judge's mother had died, and were excused---I was never called again, which is surprising to me in our not-very-populated rural county. That's been more than 25 years ago!

I was called once in the 80's for Federal jury duty. The distance was just under the limit for them to put me up in a motel. I have eye issues, and cannot drive in heavy traffic or for long distances (say 30 miles) without severe eyestrain and headaches. I wrote a letter explaining this, and offering to send medical proof if required. I simply got a postcard in the mail permanently excusing me from Federal jury duty--they asked no additional questions and did not require proof.

Esteemed Contributor

I love jury duty & have served many times.

Honored Contributor

Thankyou everyone who responded to this thread.... I knew it. would  be controversial so  no problem or hard feelings to those that called me names or  told me I needed counseling 😄.

So, asked for a Delay. Will wail and see if they grant that. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  your suggestion about Seamaiden saying her mind is made up already is not a good idea, seriously.

My ex-sister-in-law in New Jersey was called for jury duty.

She told the judge the same thing that her mind was made up and so could not sit for a trial.

Well you know what they did to her?  They put her on the "Grand Jury" for a year - I kid you not!!  It was a pain in the neck.  The judges are smart and they know the tricks.

He fixed her good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoechic wrote:

My mom recently got a summons for jury duty & I don't know what she said (over the phone), but she got permanately excused from jury duty. She is 71. Maybe she said she had IBS or something.

@shoechic   If she is 71 and permanently excused it is probably due to her age.

In our area you can be excused if you are over 70 years old.

I am surprised she could do this over the phone.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Pink123 wrote:

@teganslaw  your suggestion about Seamaiden saying her mind is made up already is not a good idea, seriously.

My ex-sister-in-law in New Jersey was called for jury duty.

She told the judge the same thing that her mind was made up and so could not sit for a trial.

Well you know what they did to her?  They put her on the "Grand Jury" for a year - I kid you not!!  It was a pain in the neck.  The judges are smart and they know the tricks.

He fixed her good.

Our grand juries are 4 days a week for a year.  I think that trick of pretending to be biased just doesn't work anymore.  Judges and attorneys have heard it all.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Our grand juries are 4 days a week for a year.  I think that trick of pretending to be biased just doesn't work anymore.  Judges and attorneys have heard it all.  

I did some research on grand jury in my state, Indiana. Grand jurys here in the northern district serve 1-3 days a month for 18 months. 4 DAYS a WEEK would be almost impossible for some people. Are you sure you didn't mean 4 days a month instead? Maybe that is correct, but was wondering as I never heard of jurors serving that often before. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

If I have no option but to reschedule... I will reschedule in December of 2022.

Reschedule for December because there will be no Covid then?