Honored Contributor

Re: Jury Duty Summons AGAIN...

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SeaMaiden That's terrible!  Talk to your doctor immediately!  

@Sooner    why would I talk to my doctor? 

Get a doctor's note saying you should not be exposed because of health reasons.

Super Contributor

I consistently get called every 18 months to 4 years. I only served once on a jury and that was 13 years ago. That took about a week and a half. At that time, the place I worked at, only paid for 2 or 3 days of jury duty, unfortunately. More often than not, I don't need to go in since my number gets excused. 

Trusted Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

I really wouldn't want to go right now. I was on their --- let's irritate her the most list, for a long time. It always frustrated me when so many I knew had never ever been called, even some in their 80's and 90's.  

I support this public service, but I think there needs to be more fair play. They need to reselect, if the name that comes up has been in the last -- say 5 years, or they've been selected several times before, and search for someone who hasn't ever been.

Seems they play the same loop of names over and over. I noticed that at my workplace, too. Those of us who had been a couple of times stayed on the recall list, while others dodged it year after year.

One RN I worked with, who loved JD, was summoned every year, or two. Now why would that happen? Do they somehow keep track of good jury candidates? Makes one wonder. So, @SeaMaiden maybe you made the keeper list :-).  

You know, I did wonder about that myself, if a list was kept of those who were called and who went/served.

It seemed like some of us got called up too soon again, although where we were living it was suppossed to be that if you were called and served--either served or were not needed, alternate, etc., you would not be called again.

It seemed like my husband kept getting called more than usual, and then we moved away.

Where we are now, we both got called once, both neither of us needed to go.

I have health issues and am excused and my husband was excused as well.

If you have any reason where you can't serve, just write it on your summons or follow the directions that you're given if you have a hardship.

You want to take care of this as soon as you receive your summons.

I also consider it a priviledge to serve and I did it in the past when I was able to do it.

Sometimes things happen in life to change our circumstances and we are not able to do the things that we could do before.

Trusted Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@willomenia wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Serving on a jury is one of the responsibilities of citizenship.If one tries to get out of it because it's inconvenient or one doesn't feel like it, then they have no business complaining or giving input on when others try to get over on the government or on whether somebody deserves something or services provided by the government.. 

How does jury duty have anything to do with the govt.? Besides, why would anyone want someone on their jury that is being forced to be there? They should have jury duty be volunteer. I'm sure alot of people do enjoy doing this. 

Did you not take civics in school? You are called to jury duty by city, state or federal government. Unless you are one of lthose who do nothing than complain about government and see no probllem in taking from it, it is your responsibility. It's in the Constitution. The 6th amendment to be exact.

yes i did take civics class and for you to truly believe the govt is fair and only has the peoples best interest is very naive. I don't owe this government squat, I pay my share of taxes and don;t have any programs that the govt helps mw with.the 6th ammendant says fair and speedy trial, when was the last time anyone had a speedy trial. A trial of their peers, yeah right! STOP pushing the ammendants which btw was written long before whats going on now.

Highlighted
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC quoted political

Respected Contributor

I received my first jury duty summons in early May stating I needed to appear June 6.  I completed the paperwork for a postponement and intentionally did it all wrong!!  Let them think I can't follow directions!!!  

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Serving on a jury is one of the responsibilities of citizenship.If one tries to get out of it because it's inconvenient or one doesn't feel like it, then they have no business complaining or giving input on when others try to get over on the government or on whether somebody deserves something or services provided by the government.. 

@reiki604   I agree with you.

A judge once told us all waiting to see if we would be called - he said that yes, people say it is inconvenient etc. etc. etc. but when asked if they would change our jury system-all agree they would not.

If it is too inconvenient, then perhaps folks should start a movement to change our jury system.

I get the issue of masks but that is a convenient excuse TODAY; the issue of masks was not around before.

I understand health issues and the established reasons why some cannot serve; but seeing some of the anger here about our Constitution and our Amendments is concerning.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

I received my first jury duty summons in early May stating I needed to appear June 6.  I completed the paperwork for a postponement and intentionally did it all wrong!!  Let them think I can't follow directions!!!  

How nice of you. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

So many political comments that have zero to do with jury duty. What a surprise!
"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Trusted Contributor

I think we get  6 year break in NY now but that just means I'm due once again. Hoping that the fact I haven't moved and registered to vote since the last time will keep me out of the hopper. I thought I was safe when I moved in here because I was fairly close to my last trip but they found me anyway.

I'd actually like to do grand jury because I haven't done that one yet. Just a little frustrated that I get called because I moved a lot and no one else ever does. I do think people should do it. It's interesting and gives a much better sense of how trials and juries work.