Honored Contributor

Re: Jury Duty Summons AGAIN...

@teganslaw wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Our grand juries are 4 days a week for a year.  I think that trick of pretending to be biased just doesn't work anymore.  Judges and attorneys have heard it all.  

I did some research on grand jury in my state, Indiana. Grand jurys here in the northern district serve 1-3 days a month for 18 months. 4 DAYS a WEEK would be almost impossible for some people. Are you sure you didn't mean 4 days a month instead? Maybe that is correct, but was wondering as I never heard of jurors serving that often before. 

Nope.  I had 2 employees on grand juries.  One did 4 days a week for 6 months but it was not consistent.  Sometimes it was 2 or 3 days in particular week.  The other served in a different county and her's was 3 days a week for the 6 months but that was unique to that particular county. And neither one could get an exemption because of work.  I know because I wrote the letters explaining how vital they were to our finance department.  I was called for the grand jury but I got an exemption because I was still on a walker recovering from my knee replacement.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree 

Did the State reimburse you, the employer, the differential for what you paid your 2 employees, while they were serving, or did you still pay them in full also? I worked for a big company, and when I served on Jury Duty or the Election Committee, I was paid my full hourly pay by the company.

My daily pay from my serving on the County Jury, along with X per mile driven compensation from the County, was still the same. I actually was a few $ ahead of what I would have made at my hourly paid job. I lost nothing and my company did what they were required to do. In my case that would be the County Government.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

In Massachusetts, each grand jury is typically impaneled for 3 months, but in some cases, they may sit for longer periods of time. However, the amount of time the grand juror must actually be at the courthouse varies greatly between judicial districts. Some grand juries meet for only a few days during their term of service, while others meet almost every business day for at least a few hours. Before you're impaneled, the judge will tell you how the grand jury operates in the judicial district you've been summoned to. You'll always have an opportunity to speak to the judge and explain your circumstances before being impaneled on a grand jury.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Once you turn 70 they won't call you any more

Just go online and postpone to where you will be available

then they never bother you. Worked for us.

Not in NY-it's a State thing-

Regular Contributor

Hi Seamaiden:  I was called quite frequently to jury duty and the last time I informed the, I was over 70 years old and have chronic back pain that does not allow me to sit for long periods of time. I was excused without my physician getting involved at all and have never been called again.  My husband was excused for his poor hearing and being 80 years old. Much of the time, they are not insistent that you serve, especially if there are any hardships involved. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

PA is a state that you can opt out at 70 and be removed from the jury pool permanently.  I have served 5 or 6 times.  Always chosen.  One time was 2+ weeks had to work evenings because no one covering my job.  It was a hard few weeks.  Our employer didn’t cover your position while you were out.  Things are different today, they would send you with your laptop today and want you to work during the jury duty breaks.  

Shoekitty said, . California is too.  I opted out a while back, but I did have a doctors excuse first due to interstitial cystitis and back issues.  But opting out is nice , because you don't get anymore summons you have to answer!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

There are usually several reasons you can qualify for dismissal; age, role as a caretaker, health, etc. If you can't get dismissed, you can ask for a postponement for a couple of months. Each state and level is different.You sound sufficiently anxious about doing it due to COVID: seems a drs note would suffice. Best of luck! I know it is our civic duty,  it I loathe it.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@chrystaltree 

Did the State reimburse you, the employer, the differential for what you paid your 2 employees, while they were serving, or did you still pay them in full also? I worked for a big company, and when I served on Jury Duty or the Election Committee, I was paid my full hourly pay by the company.

My daily pay from my serving on the County Jury, along with X per mile driven compensation from the County, was still the same. I actually was a few $ ahead of what I would have made at my hourly paid job. I lost nothing and my company did what they were required to do. In my case that would be the County Government.

hckynut  🇺🇸

Regular Contributor

Both hubby and I received notices this year. In both cases the jury selection process was to be via zoom.  Thankfully my attendance via zoom was cancelled entirely however hubby had to participate in his via zoom call. His case was shooting death and on day one of jury selection (there were 250 people present) they asked if anyone had issues with the case or personal issues. Hubby indicated he was a heart patient (true) and immediately was thanked for his service and dismissed. He even got his $5.00 chck last week. BTW the last time he served was also in 2018 but subsequently got dimissed because case was too long and he indicated he had to take care of me.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

My state does not reimburse employers for Jury time.  Employers are required to pay the full salary for the first 3 days of jury duty.  The rationale being most trials are 3 days or less.  In MA, employers are prohibited from terminating an employee for serving on a jury and must give them provide the salary for the first 3 days and benefits and accrued time off for the whole time on the jury.  My employer and that of everyone I know who served on a jury paid their salary because most trials are 3 days or less. It's a civic responsibility, jurors don't get a choice and the  $50 a day that goes to the juror thirty days after the trial ends.  It certainly doesn't replace a day's salary.  It barely covers parking fees and lunch so the vast majority of employers don't ask their employees to turn that check over to them.  It's likely that some very small businesses do that.  When it came to the grand jury, Human Resources did require that people submit the weekly attendance sheet they got because on the days the grand jury didn't meet....those jurors were required to come to work.  I'll never forget that time I had two key employees serve on two different grand juries.  Their jury time overlapped and I basically worked 6 days a week, 12 hours a day to get the work done.