Honored Contributor

Re: Jury Duty Summons AGAIN...

Just talk to your doctor for an excuse.   

Honored Contributor

It's one thing to be called for jury duty nearby but I would be very unhappy trying to get to the courthouse in Seattle on my own.  Intimidating for several reasons.  

Respected Contributor

PA is a state that you can opt out at 70 and be removed from the jury pool permanently.  I have served 5 or 6 times.  Always chosen.  One time was 2+ weeks had to work evenings because no one covering my job.  It was a hard few weeks.  Our employer didn’t cover your position while you were out.  Things are different today, they would send you with your laptop today and want you to work during the jury duty breaks.  

Esteemed Contributor

My son just got called for Federal Court jury duty which will be in Pheonix (3 hrs away). The selection process is two months long and he doesn't know until next week if he'll be called.  He is a gig worker but too bad and he only gets his kids during Summer and Christmas but too bad.  So we decided to drive him down along with the kids.  They'll put him up in a decent midtown hotel.  If he is selected and has to serve we will also stay and take kids to Imax, museums, water parks etc.  Hope he does serve so he doesn't have to go through this again soon. By the way, there are no excuses and the possibility of a $3000 fine. In addition, don't you think they've heard all the excuses many times?

Esteemed Contributor

@Frenchlop wrote:

@CatsyCline @My pain management dr. wrote a letter for me telling them about my back, so I was excused. I was an alternate juror once when I was younger.

@Frenchlop 

In June of 1974 I spent 22 days(including my birthday) in the hospital. It was before MRI evolved and was used to detect Spinal issues. Back them they used Myelogram to find the source of the problem.

This was also before Scope or Micro-Surgery was used to extract ruptured spinal discs. My L-5/S1 were surgically removed via a 9" incision in my lower back. I was in the hospital 6 days post surgery, which was standard at that time.

I was called for Jury Duty in mid August, less than 6 weeks after my surgery. At that time I was months away from being fully recovered from this surgery.

It wasn't particularly a time when I would have chosen to serve on a Jury, but I chose to do so, in spite of still being in recovery. Fortunately I had an automatic transmission in my car and was able to drive many miles to our downtown Court House.

I served on 3 different Jury Panels, 2 of them to through Deliberations and the Decision. While it wasn't the most comfortable thing one would want to do, I originally went because I felt it was my duty.

After serving the 2 weeks I realized it was a privilege for me to be able to so. I actually learned more than I thought possible about how our Justice System works, and found it unlike I perceived by watching TV series about it.

Would I do it again under the same circumstances? You bet I would! I actually think it was better for me while recovering to actually have something to focus my mind on than the discomfort I was feeling while sitting at home.

It was over 6 months later that my Ortho Doctor gave me the Green light to start ice skating again, and 2 months later to again play hockey. I turned 35 on that birthday, which back then many felt that age was old, little did I know!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn  Good grief, John, good for you.  You made a definite point, several times, in sharing your experience.

Everyone has different health concerns and issues so to chastise anyone for what they do regarding a jury summons is way off base.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden I called the courthouse where I live and spoke with the clerk.  He told me I could be excused THIS TIME but do not ask again.  It is worth a try!  There are plenty of folks who do not work and might enjoy making a few bucks to serve, it won't hurt to ask!  Good luck & I do not blame you for your hesitation with covid & gas prices.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@hckynutjohn  Good grief, John, good for you.  You made a definite point, several times, in sharing your experience.

Everyone has different health concerns and issues so to chastise anyone for what they do regarding a jury summons is way off base.

@Mersha 

It is all in one's perception of what I said about my experiences. If your perception is me chastising anyone, that is how you have read, and interpreted it.There is nothing I can, or will say, to change your perception/interpretation.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I have absolutely ZERO interest in ever being on a jury. And will do whatever i legally can to never have to do it if ever called. I personally could give 2 figs what anyone says, thinks, and/or assumes about that!!

To chastise someone (YES you are doing that by calling people names or making comments about those who don't want to do it for whatever reason) is petty and childish behavior. And frankly none of your business.

If you love it and think you're some big deal for doing it, we'll bless your heart! If you don't like it for whatever reason or have a medical or other conflict reason to not do it, than that's your own personal decision & you owe no one an explanation.
Respected Contributor

Here in California, my understanding is that you can be required to serve every year!  However, those 70+ in age can automatically be excused.  

My sister went in for jury duty and the lawyer asked her if she thought that because the person was arrested, did it make them more likely to be guilty, and her reply was "there's a reason they are sitting in that defendants chair, and I'm not"....she was excused.

I have served as a juror on three trials (one for first degree murder), and am happy to serve.  Of course, last time, they excused me, so I didn't get a chance.

I think your doctor can give you a note and you'll be excused without an issue.  Otherwise, they don't care if you have to walk, drive, crawl, or ride a bus to get there, they don't let many out of it.  Plus, they only pay mileage one way....do they think you are supposed to camp there overnight?  Even if you have a scheduled vacation, they still won't let you out of it.  

Good luck.  Since Covid, maybe the rules have changed.

......You look like I need a drink.....