Trusted Contributor

Re: Jury Duty Summons AGAIN...

In state of CA you can be excused from jury service if you're 71 years of age or older and you don't want to serve on a jury.  Check with your state's requirements to opt out of serving.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@BlueFinch   Honestly, I have been summoned to go probably 10 times over the last 25years... when I was working my boss would write me a letter to say they needed me as they were a small family owned business and needed me.... I got off several times with that excuse...

then after I retired I did not have that excuse so had to go.. but it was before covid and it was just a few miles away.  Today is a whole different picture... I could bring covid home to my husband. I do not want to be sitting in a room full of strangers for hours waiting for the jury to be picked and going back day after day in the process.   

I rest my case. The odds of having a name randomly come up so often (like yours) is unlikely. Particularly in a big city like mine. Possibly, yours, too. There has to be a reason we're unaware of why this happens to certain individuals. Randomly, I've never won a prize in my life. I just win JD. 

Rescheduling does seem the best option for now to see how things play out. If you have a high risk situation for covid for you, or DH, maybe they would accept this excuse. It's one thing to have to serve, but risking a serious illness is a different story. You'd think if forced into this situation, they would have some accountability.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Precovid I usually got called up at least once per year.  But my office is across the street from the courthouse so walking over for a few hours was no big deal.  When they started jury duty back up last year I was one of the first one's called up.  I was pleased since I felt like all trials would be settled due to people not wanting to be in public places again.  Sure enough I had not even walked in the building when the Deputy was telling all to go in and sign in that we had appeared then go home. I even received my jury money for just standing at the table and handing over my jury summons.  It is about time to receiver another summons.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Once you turn 70 they won't call you any more

Just go online and postpone to where you will be available

then they never bother you. Worked for us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of the benefits of getting older--no jury duty!!!  DH got summoned recently and it was easy to get out of it.  Before someone says "it's your civic duty"--I've been called 6 times in the past, served on a jury once.  I know people who were never called.  Let them serve.  I'm happy to be over 70 and no longer concerned with jury duty!

Esteemed Contributor

Decades ago a neighbor was called for jury duty for a murder trial. A local teen, and her boyfriend, killed her parents and 10 yr. old brother.

He was asked something along the line if he had any preconceived opinions he said, "yes, the bi*ch is guilty."

He was not picked. He told DH he did not want to be on the jury and he figured that would work.  It did.

He was a cranky old guy who did not have a frog to give about anything.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoechic wrote:

My mom recently got a summons for jury duty & I don't know what she said (over the phone), but she got permanately excused from jury duty. She is 71. Maybe she said she had IBS or something.

@shoechic 

Being over a certain age in many areas can get someone permanently excluded from Jury Duty. Election Duty? Most that I worked with on my many Panels, were my age at the time, or older and retired.

Election Duty is just plain hard work. Jury Duty is interesting and gives each participant a true look at our Jurisprudence system and how it functions. It is unlike what most perceive via TV or even being a spectator at a real trial.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Lots of do nots and will nots in that original post.

Maybe take an Uber since you will not take the bus and do not anywhere except local?

If I get called I'll drive there, put on my mask and go in and try to be the best juror I can as I would want that for myself, if I were ever on trial. 

@gidgetgh    They hardly are going to pay for an Uber... have you ever driven in down town seattle?... were gas prices going on $7.00 a gallon at that time?

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

@gidgetgh wrote:

Lots of do nots and will nots in that original post.

Maybe take an Uber since you will not take the bus and do not anywhere except local?

If I get called I'll drive there, put on my mask and go in and try to be the best juror I can as I would want that for myself, if I were ever on trial. 

@gidgetgh I think this is how everyone feels. The first time you're summoned, you're anxious to go. There's a bit of excitement in being able to observe the process. The second time, a little less so, the third time, well it begins to be a chore. And, afterwards, when your name keeps coming up, while others around you have never served, it just doesn't seem fair. Everyone should have the experience, at least once, in their life. It's an educational process that should be shared. 

Honored Contributor

In Texas just because you turn 70 does not mean you will not be called up to serve.  It is just one of the exemptions to not serve.  Some Seniors at least before Covid did not mind coming.  

However, you may choose to be excused if you:

• Are over 70 years of age (You may also request a permanent age 70 exemption.)
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."