Honored Contributor

I did jury duty for two weeks in 2018... now they are summing me  to do it again next month. 

With Covid I do not want to do it.. I hardly leave the house now and always mask up.... and WILL NOT sit in a room full of people waiting for jury selection PERIOD... and masks are no longer required either so many will be in that room without masks or properly wearing them...

and it is not local...  it is in the city miles away... I do not drive anywhere but local...so I would have to spend money for a ride. I do not do public transit as they allow homeless people to ride the buses and smoke crack on them here in Seattle ( not a lie...) 

I already  served my duty in 2018, with all the changes now I am NOT going to do it today. PERIOD.  

I will tell them this... and suppose they will deny me  and tell me I have to do it....

and put me in jail because I do not show up...

Honored Contributor

Re: Jury Duty Summons AGAIN...

@SeaMaiden That's terrible!  Talk to your doctor immediately!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner    why would I talk to my doctor? 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Ask your doc for a written excuse that due to health concerns you cannot travel or sit in any crowded area and that it makes you extremely anxious which may require meds. Can't hurt to ask.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@SeaMaiden Ask your doc for a written excuse that due to health concerns you cannot travel or sit in any crowded area and that it makes you extremely anxious which may require meds. Can't hurt to ask.

@Love my grandkids  I will consider this..

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SeaMaiden Can't he say without lying that you need to take more precautions for covid and do not need to be in close contact for extended periods?  I mean that makes you very stressed and crazy (crazier?  Woman WinkWoman Very Happy) doesn't it? Isn't that bad for your health and well being?  It would be for me!

You are one of the few still concerned and taking precautions.  That's valid.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SeaMaiden Can't he say without lying that you need to take more precautions for covid and do not need to be in close contact for extended periods?  I mean that makes you very stressed and crazy (crazier?  Woman WinkWoman Very Happy) doesn't it? Isn't that bad for your health and well being?  It would be for me!

You are one of the few still concerned and taking precautions.  That's valid.  

@Sooner    I will  definitely consider this, if it gets to that point

Honored Contributor

Bummer! 

Around here we can get called in every two years and that happened to me but not during the pandemic TG. On my second call I was picked to serve but only as a stand-by and didn't have to go back. From what I understand you have to be almost dead to get out of serving.

Respected Contributor

My husband got out of it on age alone, in our city if your 70 or older you can automatically opt out.  Also he gets sleepy so if he couldn't opt out for his age I was going to have his doctor sign a note about his sleepiness, he really would doze off during a trial!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What are you going to do? Using the Covid reason might not work, right now, so will you refuse to show up? 

You could always tell them you can't be objective, that you've made up your mind already. This could only work during the jury selection process, though. 

You could say that being on a jury would be a financial hardship. 

I don't blame you for not wanting jury duty. I was summoned twice in the past two years, but both times the case was conceled, so I never had to go.  Not buying it when others say that it's your duty. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain