Honored Contributor

Re: Jury Duty And An Aging Parent

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

Maybe it's different for different jurisdictions.  But in my case, I didn't need a doctor's note for my mom.  I wrote a letter and that seemed to suffice. Maybe it's not like that in all areas.

Where I live the jury summons has directions to follow in order to be excused.  A letter would be necessary for me after the first postponement of service.

Trusted Contributor

I think if you send a letter to the judge or clerk of courts with the explanation you gave here and any supporting documents, you should have no problem getting it excused or deferred.

Respected Contributor

Being the fulltime and sole caregiver of an elderly person should suffice for being excused.  

If needed, get a drs verification.  Then submit the paperwork as instructed.  

I was called to Federal District court about 5 years after serving on a local murder trial.  Once they found out about my previous service, they didn't want me.

Respected Contributor

I was relieved of jury duty after I presented a letter from my mom's doctor and I consider myself lucky because they changed the rules shortly thereafter. My next summons stated that if someone was the caregiver it was up to them to find someone else to cover, no excuses accepted. If a parent was in a Nursing Home then I was to give the NH the court's phone number in case of emergency. Then the judge would decide if it was an emergency. In other words, no more extensions for me.

Honored Contributor

You should be able to get excused as a caregiver, but don't wait, act now.  Tansy was correct, get a letter from your mom's MD and get it to the court.  Good luck!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@itsmagic wrote:

I would talk to the court clerk in charge of jury duty about it. Maybe even get your mother's doctor to write a note stating the circumstances and take it with you. 

This is information about being excused for jury duty. http://www.nyjuror.gov/juryQandA.shtml#Q1

Thank you so much for the link. As far as getting a doctor's note I actually took my mother to the doctor today. I told him about my jury situation. He thought I would just have to go and didn't mention providing me with a note. 

Honored Contributor

kdgn, that's horrible!  I can't imagine putting an elderly or very ill person through that by taking away someone they trust.  It makes me angry.  

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

Since you are your Mothers caregiver they will excuse you. I would get a letter from a doctor also. Do it as soon as you can. Other posters on here had some good information also. 

Respected Contributor

OP-- Doctors don't always put the pieces together.  

Check the instructions from the court and then ask his office for a note if you need it.  First, make sure what the court needs to decide. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was able to defer jury duty at least twice by simply calling the number on the notice. I was taking my mother back and forth to doctors appointments.  

The clerk was very understanding of my situation.

ETA: Each time I asked to have the date rescheduled.