Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jury Duty And An Aging Parent

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm the OP with the elderly mother. I had to show up for jury duty yesterday. The way it's  run is a joke. People in the jury room can't follow the simplest instructions. You have to get there at 9:00 ( going through the metal detectors and having your bag x-rayed. They don't start calling people for a jury panel until 11:20. Luckily I got picked for the first panel. They walk us across to another building at 11:30 only to be told to meet back at 2:00! I was in the first group of potential jurors in the jury box and wasn't picked to serve. Luckily they let the group of us go, we didn't have to come back The rest of the panel had to come back today to round out the jury. I was away from my mother from 6:45 am to 6:00 pm. Thankfully she was okay when I got home. I was very concerned for her. You should see how many people were trying to get excused only to be told to have a seat.The only excuse they accept were not an American citizen, under 18 years old, not convicted of a felony, and understand and speak English.

Unfortunately there are so many variables in jury selection.  You have a large number of trials possibly getting ready to start.  They attorneys come in and make motions, there are other delays that cause the delay in getting juries started.  People come up with every excuse known to avoid jury duty.  Most people feel they shouldn't have to serve.  People don't realize that that could be them sitting there being sued or charged with a crime and wouldn't they want open-minded citizens of their community willing to take the time to serve on their jury.  Now, that being said, of course there are many reasons people honestly can't serve on a jury, and I'm not talking about that.  I'm surprised that you had to go in when you care for your mom.  I'm glad that your mom was ok and you got it over with.  Were you excused when you told the judge you needed to care for your mom or did they keep you and excuse you later for a different reason?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I was in the exact same situation several years ago when my dear mother was alive.  I called the courts and told them I could have the doctor contact them.  They told me that would not be necessary and that I was excused. The woman was so lovely and said that I was doing a wonderful thing in caring for my elderly mother and I told her it was my honor. She said she would do anything to have her mother back and now I know how she feels.  Good luck.         docsgirl

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm the OP with the elderly mother. I had to show up for jury duty yesterday. The way it's  run is a joke. People in the jury room can't follow the simplest instructions. You have to get there at 9:00 ( going through the metal detectors and having your bag x-rayed. They don't start calling people for a jury panel until 11:20. Luckily I got picked for the first panel. They walk us across to another building at 11:30 only to be told to meet back at 2:00! I was in the first group of potential jurors in the jury box and wasn't picked to serve. Luckily they let the group of us go, we didn't have to come back The rest of the panel had to come back today to round out the jury. I was away from my mother from 6:45 am to 6:00 pm. Thankfully she was okay when I got home. I was very concerned for her. You should see how many people were trying to get excused only to be told to have a seat.The only excuse they accept were not an American citizen, under 18 years old, not convicted of a felony, and understand and speak English.

Unfortunately there are so many variables in jury selection.  You have a large number of trials possibly getting ready to start.  They attorneys come in and make motions, there are other delays that cause the delay in getting juries started.  People come up with every excuse known to avoid jury duty.  Most people feel they shouldn't have to serve.  People don't realize that that could be them sitting there being sued or charged with a crime and wouldn't they want open-minded citizens of their community willing to take the time to serve on their jury.  Now, that being said, of course there are many reasons people honestly can't serve on a jury, and I'm not talking about that.  I'm surprised that you had to go in when you care for your mom.  I'm glad that your mom was ok and you got it over with.  Were you excused when you told the judge you needed to care for your mom or did they keep you and excuse you later for a different reason?

No the judge goes through a lot of question that he asks of everyone. I did mention my situation and he asked if I had anyone who could help me, I said I didn't. I still had to sit there through the questioning of the DA and 2 defense attorneys (there were 2 defendants charged 1 trial).  I suppose they didn't like my answers and rejected me!  There was one woman there she had to be maybe in her early 30's. She was sitting slumped over to the side like she was taking a nap. She was asked what was wrong she said she found this uninteresting and was bored! Needless to say she wasn't  chosen for the trial!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2   'm glad your Mom was OK. my Mom worries me too, she lives alone though.

That place sounds EXACTLY like one of the courts i went to for JD. Hurry Up And Wait. God forbid you are late!

It was all on my dime paid parking and i had to fight the horrendous morning commute because they put all these courthouses in older cities and towns which were once cobblestoned squares and narrow cow paths.

Then you hang around for nothing. The "trials" are mostly insurance disputes. i was recused from a trial for "conflict of interest" . then they send you to lunch. they do like their long lunches.  when you come back - must be ON TIME!  you sit in the pool again and wait some more.

they never got a chance to summons me again to that district court because i moved !

Honored Contributor

Jordan:  I think you can phone or go to your mom's doc's office, and request a note saying that your mom needs 24/7 care by you, the sole caregiver.  That would be a legitimate excuse, written by the doc's office, I believe. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Jordan:  I think you can phone or go to your mom's doc's office, and request a note saying that your mom needs 24/7 care by you, the sole caregiver.  That would be a legitimate excuse, written by the doc's office, I believe. 

On my mother's last appointment I did mention to him I might have to serve jury duty. He made a comment that his partner a doctor had to go for jury duty. He made it seem like just go everyone does. He said you know how to answer to get them to not want you! I don't think he wanted to be bothered writing a letter. Anyway even if you have documentation they said you still have to show up and your papers will be reviewed. If you have to show up anyway you might as well stay!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jordan:  That seems very 'odd', to me, anyway.  Well, I'm guessing it depends on the area/state/county/etc.  And it depends on the doctor, too.  In general: Seems to me that citizens shouldn't have to hire an expensive caregiver, day by day, while that citizen is in jury duty.  Seems unlawful to me.  Also seems that the elderly parent, when left alone because it's financially impossible to hire a private caregiver, could end up in harm's way, while the adult child is away in jury duty.  All in all, it's a sad situation.  And it doesn't make much common sense to me.  In your case, I believe that the doc could have his office staff write a note. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I really find your situation unreasonable.  I am from NJ as well as another poster and we have a full docket.  However, they understand the importance of caregiving.  It isn't right that you had to leave your mother that long 

Esteemed Contributor

When the trial was held for the man who murdered my son I was very distressed to see some of the jurors who served actually nodding off during testimony.  I wanted to go over to that box and give them apiece of my mind.

Honored Contributor

If I were a juror, and continuously wondering what my elderly mom was doing while she was all alone, unattended, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on my jury duties and/or paying much attention to the evidence, trial.  Sometimes it could be counter-productive, trial-wise.  IMO