Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jury Duty And An Aging Parent

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@itsmagic wrote:

I would talk to the court clerk in charge of jury duty about it. Maybe even get your mother's doctor to write a note stating the circumstances and take it with you. 

This is information about being excused for jury duty. http://www.nyjuror.gov/juryQandA.shtml#Q1

Thank you so much for the link. As far as getting a doctor's note I actually took my mother to the doctor today. I told him about my jury situation. He thought I would just have to go and didn't mention providing me with a note. 

I would ask for a note anyway.  It doesn't matter that he didn't offer - You have to be pro-active and ask for it.   I wouldn't put much stock in what he said about having to serve.  That was just his opinion. 

Whatever you do, though, you should find out the procedure that is required.  That can vary depending not just on location but also on the type of jury.  Asking people here is fine, but you're only going to get a definitive answer for your particular situation by folllowing up with the court directly.

Respected Contributor

I was in this situation last year I kept postponing but finally got the Dr.s note. There was no way I could leave my mom for that long.It is a big weight off your shoulders when you get excused. 

Honored Contributor

((( Jordan and Mama )))

Honored Contributor

I had the same situation a few years back.    When I asked to be excused, I was told to "get a babysitter"............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Be honest. They should excuse you. People were excused even when they went to jury duty that morning. Just don't ignore the letter, like some.

Honored Contributor

I would like to add that when you tell the doctor you want a note, don't let him give you any guff about it. You are with Mom more time than him. He may know medicine, you know Mom.
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I got a summons last fall and sent it back saying that I was primary caregiver to my aged parents.  They sent back a letter stating that I needed to show up anyway.  Luckily, for me, it was only five days.

I thought that my request to be excused was declined because I am employed. I care for Mom and Dad after school until evening.  I suppose they didn't consider this a conflict.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

That could be Housecat. They probably figured you were out of the house for work.
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I'm sure each state is different but in NJ you will be excused if you have the personal obligation to care for another who requires your personal care and no alternative care is available without severe financial hardship.

They do require documentation when the summons questionnaire is returned to them.

Honored Contributor

I'm the OP with the elderly mother. I had to show up for jury duty yesterday. The way it's  run is a joke. People in the jury room can't follow the simplest instructions. You have to get there at 9:00 ( going through the metal detectors and having your bag x-rayed. They don't start calling people for a jury panel until 11:20. Luckily I got picked for the first panel. They walk us across to another building at 11:30 only to be told to meet back at 2:00! I was in the first group of potential jurors in the jury box and wasn't picked to serve. Luckily they let the group of us go, we didn't have to come back The rest of the panel had to come back today to round out the jury. I was away from my mother from 6:45 am to 6:00 pm. Thankfully she was okay when I got home. I was very concerned for her. You should see how many people were trying to get excused only to be told to have a seat.The only excuse they accept were not an American citizen, under 18 years old, not convicted of a felony, and understand and speak English.