Honored Contributor

Jury Duty And An Aging Parent

I got a jury summons about 5 months ago and managed to get an extension for August. My mother is 87 years old and I am her sole caregiver. I can leave her for about 2 hours at a time.  I'm not working because I take care of her. The thought of leaving her for so many hours for a number of days has me very fearful. I don't have anyone to stay with her and can't afford to hire some one. The only thing I can hope Is that the court system might be understanding about my situation.

Respected Contributor

Re: Jury Duty And An Aging Parent

[ Edited ]

They do understand 

Respected Contributor

I would talk to the court clerk in charge of jury duty about it. Maybe even get your mother's doctor to write a note stating the circumstances and take it with you. 

Respected Contributor

Call the clerk and explain your situation, I'm sure they will understand. 

Honored Contributor

I was completely excused when I told them I helped to take care of my 93 year old mother, they gave me a 3 year extension.

Honored Contributor

I had a similar situation a few years ago when my mom was with me.  She was in her early 90s.  I got a notice for jury duty at least 2 or 3 of the years she was with me.  Each time, I got a deferment.  By the time she passed, I was then of an age that I no longer needed to serve.  Good luck to you.  It should work out for you.

Honored Contributor

I'd get a letter from your mother's doctor to send to the court.  There's usually a formal process to be excused.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Depends on the court. Here, they don't understand. My mom was my son's only caregiver when he was a baby and I was working. We live in the country, no other family close by. My mom didn't have a working car at the time, and depended on me for transportation. 

She got summoned for duty, and called to see if she could get out of it as the only sitter we had while we both worked. They told her absolutely not. She would have to have us take off work and she would have to find transportation (it is about 20 miles from here to the courthouse) and that was that. 

Luckily she never got the final call, only the preliminary notice, so we avoided the issue, and now is old enough to be excused. 

I'd suggest getting right on the ball with securing a doctor's note about your mom's condition, and needing care. It may be enough were you live, but might not be. Best wishes and I hope you are able to be excused.

Honored Contributor

Maybe it's different for different jurisdictions.  But in my case, I didn't need a doctor's note for my mom.  I wrote a letter and that seemed to suffice. Maybe it's not like that in all areas.

Esteemed Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I would talk to the court clerk in charge of jury duty about it. Maybe even get your mother's doctor to write a note stating the circumstances and take it with you. 

This is information about being excused for jury duty. http://www.nyjuror.gov/juryQandA.shtml#Q1