Honored Contributor

Re: Junk Pushers this Time of Year

A lot of people buy a large quantity of junk for Christmas. Joke toys, stuff like that. I guess that's why the Q starts selling Christmas junk in October.

We never did that in our family. We bought less, but our gifts were always high quality and something useful for each individual.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 mstyrion 1 said:

ical,

the items you bought sound exactly like the "junk" you object to. The stuff that is out every holiday season. The junk everyone knows is junk. Why did you buy them?

If you reread what was posted you can see that I framed it as things that are hyped up as things needed or wanted as gifts for others. I gave my examples to indicate how one can be fooled. If you go back to the post with my examples read the last sentence, it states this:

So if you wish to give gifts this time of year, be careful from the hype...

Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 scotttie said:
On 10/21/2014 ical said:

My examples from here:

I bought from Laurie Grenier a group (I think 10 or 12) of tinned scented candles with their own stocking to package them. The candles smelled like metal. The stockings were cheap, easy-to-tear fabric, some kind of weird flannel? And the tins didn't fit into them & would tear if you tried to put them inside. They were pure junk and I returned them and that was my last order with her. Period.

Another example: Gloves which had a "secret pocket" in them, which, actually, they were nice--EXCEPT the thumb on one of them was sewn on backwards. Believe it or not, it wasn't that I got two of the left glove--it was that the right glove had the palm where it should be, but where the pinky should be, the thumb was sewn, and where the thumb should be, the pinky was sewn. The palm was in the correct place, as was the top of the glove, but the thumb and pinky on the right glove were reversed! ALIEN gloves, lol!

Another was some dumb submarine toy which was supposed to dive and swim under water. The thing would float on top of the water, go belly up and then splash water in the air. What a piece of junk! Never returned that, so it was a loss.

{#emotions_dlg.w00t} I'm sorry but those two really made me laugh!

The glove was sold by Antonella a year or so ago, maybe longer. I was wondering if the sample she had had the same problem but I didn't notice. They were for children or for someone who wanted to hide something in their gloves so I bought them for that alone.

I think I sent them back because I caught the mistake before I gave the gift.

They are funny examples. All bought here. {#emotions_dlg.scared} So why are you sorry? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 adelle38 said:
On 10/21/2014 ical said:

My examples from here:

I bought from Laurie Grenier a group (I think 10 or 12) of tinned scented candles with their own stocking to package them. The candles smelled like metal. The stockings were cheap, easy-to-tear fabric, some kind of weird flannel? And the tins didn't fit into them & would tear if you tried to put them inside. They were pure junk and I returned them and that was my last order with her. Period.

Another example: Gloves which had a "secret pocket" in them, which, actually, they were nice--EXCEPT the thumb on one of them was sewn on backwards. Believe it or not, it wasn't that I got two of the left glove--it was that the right glove had the palm where it should be, but where the pinky should be, the thumb was sewn, and where the thumb should be, the pinky was sewn. The palm was in the correct place, as was the top of the glove, but the thumb and pinky on the right glove were reversed! ALIEN gloves, lol!

Another was some dumb submarine toy which was supposed to dive and swim under water. The thing would float on top of the water, go belly up and then splash water in the air. What a piece of junk! Never returned that, so it was a loss.

Well maybe if more people returned this "junk" they'd sell less of it. As others have said it's in B&M stores as well.

Lessons learned. There was a time one could come here and reliable shop for unique gifts that actually were special, nicely made, and with excellent quality.

Now? I think it's just to stuff socks and pockets...

Respected Contributor

Lots of "" great gifts of junk"" shows for sure.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Pqfan said:

That is just the way shopping at this time of the year is.

It isn't going to change.

I just try not to buy it.

Some of it is fun though,I love me some cheesy useless junk.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

LOL. Some it is fun, isnt it. It is interesting to see all the different things they come out with.
Honored Contributor

This time of the year makes me so, so sad in this regard.

Tchotchkes that fill an obligatory gift need, but also fills a Landfill Forever.

So much waste occurs when "a leaf blows by".

Trusted Contributor

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia! The pottery that grows!

Clap on! Clap off! The Clapper!

Esteemed Contributor

My family jokes every year about what QVC item they will receive under the tree!! I am thinking of getting everyone those flashlights that can wind around your neck, ha ha!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Laughing at the OP's post. I guess some of us know this to be so true!!!

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust