Respected Contributor

Re: Junk Pushers this Time of Year

ical,

the items you bought sound exactly like the "junk" you object to. The stuff that is out every holiday season. The junk everyone knows is junk. Why did you buy them?

~Enough is enough~
Trusted Contributor

On 10/21/2014 ical said:

My examples from here:

I bought from Laurie Grenier a group (I think 10 or 12) of tinned scented candles with their own stocking to package them. The candles smelled like metal. The stockings were cheap, easy-to-tear fabric, some kind of weird flannel? And the tins didn't fit into them & would tear if you tried to put them inside. They were pure junk and I returned them and that was my last order with her. Period.

Another example: Gloves which had a "secret pocket" in them, which, actually, they were nice--EXCEPT the thumb on one of them was sewn on backwards. Believe it or not, it wasn't that I got two of the left glove--it was that the right glove had the palm where it should be, but where the pinky should be, the thumb was sewn, and where the thumb should be, the pinky was sewn. The palm was in the correct place, as was the top of the glove, but the thumb and pinky on the right glove were reversed! ALIEN gloves, lol!

Another was some dumb submarine toy which was supposed to dive and swim under water. The thing would float on top of the water, go belly up and then splash water in the air. What a piece of junk! Never returned that, so it was a loss.

So if you wish to give gifts this time of year, be careful from the hype...

Well maybe if more people returned this "junk" they'd sell less of it. As others have said it's in B&M stores as well.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

I call it landfill products especially the cheap brittle plastic toys.

Esteemed Contributor

Junk is a compliment. I think it's a disgrace that these companies treat consumers like suckers. Nobody should buy this stuff.
Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 ical said:

My examples from here:

I bought from Laurie Grenier a group (I think 10 or 12) of tinned scented candles with their own stocking to package them. The candles smelled like metal. The stockings were cheap, easy-to-tear fabric, some kind of weird flannel? And the tins didn't fit into them & would tear if you tried to put them inside. They were pure junk and I returned them and that was my last order with her. Period.

Another example: Gloves which had a "secret pocket" in them, which, actually, they were nice--EXCEPT the thumb on one of them was sewn on backwards. Believe it or not, it wasn't that I got two of the left glove--it was that the right glove had the palm where it should be, but where the pinky should be, the thumb was sewn, and where the thumb should be, the pinky was sewn. The palm was in the correct place, as was the top of the glove, but the thumb and pinky on the right glove were reversed! ALIEN gloves, lol!

Another was some dumb submarine toy which was supposed to dive and swim under water. The thing would float on top of the water, go belly up and then splash water in the air. What a piece of junk! Never returned that, so it was a loss.

So if you wish to give gifts this time of year, be careful from the hype...

{#emotions_dlg.w00t} I'm sorry but those two really made me laugh!

Respected Contributor

I bought my fair share in the past but no longer. Most of my gifts now, except for kids, are consumables. Only if I know someone wants something do I buy it, otherwise consumables for the most part. Most of the stuff they produce this time of year is truly gifts for the landfill.
Respected Contributor

Do you also notice many Lunchtime Specials, even expensive items, are sold with little mark-down even though the reviews agree that the item is sub-standard?

Why would anyone want to buy something poorly manufactured for any price especially marked-up/marked-down jewelry which is even more expensive than most Lunchtime Specials, having been fore-warned?

Quality and value mean nothing here.

Respected Contributor

Caveat emptor which is Latin for Let the Buyer Beware. So since ancient times sellers have been duping buyers. Most of us learn from our mistakes to avoid the junk.
Super Contributor

I am careful with my shopping. I only will purchase items that I know they would enjoy per their interests.
Respected Contributor

That is just the way shopping at this time of the year is.

It isn't going to change.

I just try not to buy it.

Some of it is fun though,I love me some cheesy useless junk.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}