Trusted Contributor

Re: 🐾June🐾 Is Adopt-A-Shelter-Cat-Month 🐾

I have 2 cats in the house and 14 outside.  I live in the country.  A lady down the road gave me a contact at our SPCA so that once caught in a have a heart trap I could get them neutered at no cost.  They did it on the condition that I take the cats back.   They moved to my house 3  years ago when a fox built her den on a neighboring farm.  The fox is now in my woods and was by my porch last week.  All noses have been counted so all is well.  There are 4 more cats to be caught but they now know how the trap works and all I catch are the fixed.  I have asthma but Josie has a heart murmur and the vet wants her in the house.  I decided to keep her brother inside also to keep her company.  Now that warm weather is here my cat food bill has decreased.  I have been gifted with a few miles and chipmunks.   The 4 ,in neutered live at the farm and come to eat only when hunting is hard.   The others are still wild and most run at the sight of a person.   We will keep trying to catch and neuter as long as needed.   We have a no kill SPCA and they are over loaded slot.

Respected Contributor

I have 4 cats inside, three outside in a lovely cat house, plus my new kitten recovering on my screened porch, and I feed neighbor's three cats.   I bought the outside house years ago. It was built as a 8x16 fruit stand (whomever ordered it didn't buy it and  I kept passing it thinking it would be a great home for my 3 outside strays.) And it is the best purchase I have made in a while. It  is 8x8 screened in porch an a 8x8 enclosed back room. It has ledges, inside door with a storm window,back screened door and a back  solid door, it has power,ceiling fans, toys,large real scratching tree branches,and we bolted half barrels to back room wall forbids  and climbing. I put flower side-by-side and it's so cute sitting out under a huge oak tree.  My cats are very safe and happy there. Guess new kitten will end up there.

Respected Contributor

I lost my 18 year old furbaby in January. The pain of not having a kitty in the house was too much, so I adopted a shelter kitty in February. She certainly did not replace the one I lost, but she helped me overcome the pain. She is just adorable, sweet, loving, and adds so much to my life.

I would encourage anyone who has lost a pet to not replace that pet with a "look-a-like." I have a friend who did this with her dog, and she is constantly comparing the new dog to the one she lost...and is disappointed that the new one is not just like the old one. Every furbaby is special and unique in their own way.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I adopted you!:

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you don't have a feline  and are not allergic to felines? Go adopt a couple of these precious animals. A pair of felines take very little work to care for them, and you will be rewarded with more love than you can imagine, for the rest of their lives.

Too many uncaring people get them as pets/do not get them fixed/let them roam the great outdoors, and then when they are carrying little babies? Dump them out like garbage on highways like the one close to our home, not caring in the least what happens to them.

Then you have those that take care of the "dumped" feline and try to care for their litter when they are born. Unfortunately there are way more of the former type of human beings than the latter, some are able to survive while others I pick up dead on our highway.

@JDJ555   Thank you very much for this thread and thinking of these homeless felines, and to those that save some of these precious kitty lives.

hckynut(john).         =^..^=

hckynut(john)
Contributor

I have two from Shelter ( Maggie and Sparkie) and one from a ferral mamma cat ( Izzie) I love them to death. Every time i get on the computer they come and lay around on my desk and keep me company. Never a dull moment with my kitties around.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brinklii wrote:

I lost my 18 year old furbaby in January. The pain of not having a kitty in the house was too much, so I adopted a shelter kitty in February. She certainly did not replace the one I lost, but she helped me overcome the pain. She is just adorable, sweet, loving, and adds so much to my life.

I would encourage anyone who has lost a pet to not replace that pet with a "look-a-like." I have a friend who did this with her dog, and she is constantly comparing the new dog to the one she lost...and is disappointed that the new one is not just like the old one. Every furbaby is special and unique in their own way.

I know this sounds crazy, but we lost a kitty suddenly--totally unexpected.  I was so devastated, I was in disbelief.

So the crazy part is, I immediately went to the shelter to *look for her*.  Like she was going to show up in another kitten.  I guess like reincarnation?

Of course I didn't *see* her there in any of the kittens (she was so unique in looks anyway), but that was my initial reaction at the time.

ETA:  I'm so sorry about your cat, 18 years, that's a big part of your lifetime.  That's like raising a child.

Respected Contributor

My best boys were 3 years old, and though not brothers, they were best friends when I adopted them 4 years ago!

It was the best decision I've ever made.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I guess I was a little early.  We adopted our little girl last October. Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

cat.jpg