Honored Contributor

Re: June Bird's Nest - Welcome Summer

Hi Mousie - how is it going with the cat?  I have a file in my head called the "If I live to be 90, I'll never understand it" and in that file is a big folder about people who dump their pets when it becomes inconvenient to take care of them.  I look at my animal companions as gifts from God - little angels on earth.  Yeah, that even applies to Grayson when he is trying to ****** my feet or bare leg.  He's so used to seeing me in long pants with socks and slippers on my feet that when he sees me barefooted or sees my nekkid leg, he chases me to ****** at me.  That little sonofagun leaves a mark too.

Freddie - I guess your doctor don't realize all the running around the house you do picking up after the crowd that moved in with you (lol).  Both of my parents had COPD and I know that humidity does a number on your lungs.  My mom was on something called an oxygen concentrator at home with tanks of O2 for travel.  Maybe a little oxygen at night would help you sleep better and be less stress on your body overall.  I can understand not wanting to be tethered during the day.

Possummink - sorry your DD had a close call with a tornado.  The weather this late spring and early summer has been squirrely here in MI.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

Hi Mousie - how is it going with the cat?  I have a file in my head called the "If I live to be 90, I'll never understand it" and in that file is a big folder about people who dump their pets when it becomes inconvenient to take care of them.  I look at my animal companions as gifts from God - little angels on earth.  Yeah, that even applies to Grayson when he is trying to ****** my feet or bare leg.  He's so used to seeing me in long pants with socks and slippers on my feet that when he sees me barefooted or sees my nekkid leg, he chases me to ****** at me.  That little sonofagun leaves a mark too.

Freddie - I guess your doctor don't realize all the running around the house you do picking up after the crowd that moved in with you (lol).  Both of my parents had COPD and I know that humidity does a number on your lungs.  My mom was on something called an oxygen concentrator at home with tanks of O2 for travel.  Maybe a little oxygen at night would help you sleep better and be less stress on your body overall.  I can understand not wanting to be tethered during the day.

Possummink - sorry your DD had a close call with a tornado.  The weather this late spring and early summer has been squirrely here in MI.

Lol re Grayson.  Remmy has a long stuffed Rudolph the Reindeer, for dogs, and as he chews on it, it is wet in areas.  He follows so closely behind me that the wet area touches my legs and makes me yelp, lol.

I was just going to post re kitty.  I emailed my Vet about him yesterday, as I didn't have my car, forgot that it was going in to the shop yesterday, and made an appointment this morning, but the soonest I could get is Thursday.

He is eating everything, and drinking tons of water which leads me to believe he has kidney issues, which may have been caused by the starvation.  He was on top of the sink counter this morning, chatting away, probably trying to get on the wondow sill.  I lifted him to the floor, just skin and bones, heartbreaking.  He still has a wonderful spirit.

A Robin just took a bath, and is shaking to dry off on a tree limb just outside my den window so as I type, I am watching this.  Off it just flew.

It has been so hot and humid, humidity wears me down, so am staying inside during the hottest part of the day.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

I was just going to post re kitty.  I emailed my Vet about him yesterday, as I didn't have my car, forgot that it was going in to the shp yesterday, and made an appointment this morning, but the soonest I could get is Thursday.

He is eating everything, and drinking tons of water which leads me to believe he has kidney issues, which may have been caused by the starvation.  He was on top of the sink counter this morning, chatting away, probably trying to get on the wondow sill.  I lifted him to the floor, just skin and bones, heartbreaking.  He still has a wonderful spirit.

Mousie, once I opened my home to birds for the first time in 2005, my home serves multiple functions now.  Sometimes, it's just my home.  Sometimes, it's a temporary bed and breakfast for birds that need a little respite before rejoining the world.  Sometimes it's a rehab center for birds that need more intensive care.  Sometimes it's a hospice for birds that find their way to my back door shortly before they go back to God.

In the beginning, it was difficult for me to understand why the dying was being sent my way.  I'm not arrogant to think I am all that - I don't have a veterinary background - but I thought me and St. Francis were in it together to help birds and restore health.

I had to accept early on that I was not always going to 'win'.  I figure, out of all the backyards in my neighborhood, there has to be a reason that the sicks ones find mine.

Since I don't know the bird's life history before it ends up with me, I try to make sure it feels warm and dry, has food and water if it wants it, feels safe from any predation and knows that for however long it is with me, they matter a great deal to me. 

You are a good person Mousie and I think it is wonderful that for this time in the cat's life - he is the center of attention, is receiving good food and matters a great deal to you and your family.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

I was just going to post re kitty.  I emailed my Vet about him yesterday, as I didn't have my car, forgot that it was going in to the shp yesterday, and made an appointment this morning, but the soonest I could get is Thursday.

Mousie, once I opened my home to birds for the first time in 2005, my home serves multiple functions now.  Sometimes, it's just my home.  Sometimes, it's a temporary bed and breakfast for birds that need a little respite before rejoining the world.  Sometimes it's a rehab center for birds that need more intensive care.  Sometimes it's a hospice for birds that find their way to my back door shortly before they go back to God.

In the beginning, it was difficult for me to understand why the dying was being sent my way.  I'm not arrogant to think I am all that - I don't have a veterinary background - but I thought me and St. Francis were in it together to help birds and restore health.

I had to accept early on that I was not always going to 'win'.  I figure, out of all the backyards in my neighborhood, there has to be a reason that the sicks ones find mine.

Since I don't know the bird's life history before it ends up with me, I try to make sure it feels warm and dry, has food and water if it wants it, feels safe from any predation and knows that for however long it is with me, they matter a great deal to me. 

You are a good person Mousie and I think it is wonderful that for this time in the cat's life - he is the center of attention, is receiving good food and matters a great deal to you and your family.

Birdmama, when I was in rescue, I had so many cats.  among them, there were old and infirm, these I kept upstairs with me, and the younger downstairs in the rec room, which is one reason that room had to be redone eventually, which it was in 2013.  

One cat came through a business acquaintance of DH, was old and on meds for a thyroid issue. They were moving to another state and were to live in a houseboat.  Eventually, I had the choice of putting her down, or having her thyroid removed, so I opted for the latter, many emergency issues followed, and many thousands of dollars later, she lived another two years.  I don't know that I would make the same decision, under those circumstances, again, but by the time the surgery came up, she had been with me a few years, and I loved her, but then I automatically love all critters.

Through the years, I have rescued many birds, squirrels, domestic rabbits, dogs, two baby owls, and tons of cats, The wild critters were sent or taken to Wildlife Rescue, and the rest remained here.  Some cats which I fostered for a nonprofit organization, were adopted.  The people came here to see the cat, then we visited their home, and if we liked them, we let the cats go, for a small adoption fee, as an animal should never be given away, people don't respect something they get for free, usually, and then there are those who own reptiles, and you can imagine what they do with kittens and puppies, horrific.

The other organization I volunteered at, placed mostly dogs, but also cats, and the results were not always good, it is an overwhelming issue everywhere.  Once, I carted two litters of kittens, when they were of age, to the spay and neuter clinic one morning, lol.  Once DD came along, I had to stop taking more in, and just take care of what I had, and DD.

Honored Contributor

DSCF4754.JPG

Honored Contributor

Ahhh, Remmy and The Girl :-)

Respected Contributor

Oh my goodness thought sure I had lost Conrad. I put him out in the back yard several hours ago as he had snoozed most of the morning and early afternoon. Got busy with a few things, ran a few errands and then it dawned on me so I called him in from the back yard - NOTHING. He was no where and I realized that I probably let him out. He is quiet and sneaky and never makes a big to do about walking off - unlike Bailey. David and I had put a space heater back out in the shed and Tessa and I had covere up the Quad and mower as we had a gust of wind. Both times I left the gate open and never thought about it. At any rate I panicked and the kids got ready to take off looking also. Three doors down there is the small apt. complex, We are walking down the road and I was calling him like crazy. He actually came out running from the apartments. He never runs back to me or the kids but this time he did - guess he was a tad scared too. So all are safe and sound - whew!!! He has a chip but animal control is closed at 5 p.m. - so glad that precious dog came a running back!

Honored Contributor

Freddie, you got entirely too much going on at your house. You need to get those feet up, regulate your breathing, and chill out with Conrad. Both of you had too much excitement today :-)
Honored Contributor

REMINDER - REMINDER

There is a July 2015 Bird's Nest and Back Fence in the Among Friends Forum.

Honored Contributor

Should we all start posting there?  I have been confused as to where to post.  Will you be keeping the two together?  I wouldn't mind that, but maybe some would.