Honored Contributor

Re: June Bird's Nest - Welcome Summer

Honored Contributor

Please join me in having some birthday cake.  Today is my Poppi's 10th birthday and I am celebrating :-)

Here is a recent photo taken of him almost 2 weeks ago.  

Poppi.jpg

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama

Happy BD Poppi - your mommie birdmama sure loves you.

Filled the feeders about 7:30 and boy howdy it is some sultry out there. But at least there will be some food when they decide it is cool enough to come by. Most of the birds hovering any more are those noisy crows. Nothing stops them. We have walnut trees here and there in this area - at one time I am told it was all walnut groves here. At any rate, the remaining few trees, situated sparsely these days the crows can still find. And they toss them in the street in front of my house to break them. You can hear off and off each day, crack, carck, the sound of a dropping walnut which breaks upon impact. Periodically I go o ut and sweet them up. I find that amazing.

Got a load of clothes on the line super easy. Only got two loads washed yesterday and hopefully this is the last one. Eerily quiet in my neighborhood - no one is making any noise. That spooks me sometimes. LOL.

Hope one and all have a great day - stay cool!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

June Bird's Nest - Welcome Summer

Freddie, I sure do love that Poppi.  Having no experience with birds prior to him and his sister (RIP) entering my life, life expectancy of a sparrow has been a big unknown.  His right foot is a little arthritic, which is why he isn't gripping the perch like my youngest Presto would in the same situation.

I've always looked at every day with my birds as a gift.  Since Peewee passed away last year, my time with Poppi has become more precious to me (if that's even possible).

I have a walnut tree in my backyard and I wish the squirrels would take the walnuts elsewhere to eat them instead of leaving debris all over the yard.  That tree used to bear, how do I describe it - nuts (?) every other even year until I had it professional groomed :-(.  Now I deal with hundred and hundreds of walnuts EVERY year. 

Oh well, whatcha going to do?

Honored Contributor

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,  POPPI!!!!

Wow,  10 years old.   Hope you have many more, Poppi.  Hope you got some very special treats from your BirdmamaHeart

Respected Contributor

I bet Poppi had a super BD  - wish we could have all come to the party but also bet he would look at us and say go home - he would, I am sure, prefer his quiet times. LOL.

So very muggy yesterday - sure thought I was back in New Orleans. Could hardly breathe and along with the thick air was temps of 101. This AIN'T June for sure. It was horrible. Am watching the news program on Channel 5 this morning and the weather gal is saying more of the same today and "I just loved yesterday." I think she is nuts. Had wanted to get Davey to help try and get some of those stakes in but did not have even him go out in it. And then later he and Tessa say they are going for a short walk. What is he wearing? Jeans, not his usual cargo pants, with his wool hoddie on. He looked so dumb and I told him he would wind up overheating as he is quite heavy. On a change of thought from yesterday, I may have him try and dig some holes for those stakes today. LOL.

I sure make a lot of typos on these new boards - do not know why so many - don't see the ones I leave until it is already posted. Another sign, I guess, I am getting older by the minute. I cannot find a spell check here. I was disappointed on the old boards when they dropped the spell check from them - why would they do that I wonder.

I filled the feeders yesterday morning and very little food was eaten. Too hot for even the birds  - all of the doves have completely disappeared. I find that so strange. We never had any until about 10 years ago and since then they are everywhere - not so since the heat descended upon us. This is the first time since they appeared they have left for any time at all. Strange. Guess they and their feathered cousins hide in the multiple trees in the Wash and other areas which have a lot of trees. Do not see any birds in the trees in my yard. Interesting.

Yesterday some people were next door looking at the empty house. Am praying if it is going to be rented again we get some good neighbors. The last people left the first of this month - they were there for about 2 years and were great neighbors. People before them were not nice and were pigs. Interesting, however is the owners of the home are what I would call slumlords - not nice at all. They do nothing there at all and the last tenants had to really fight them on occasion to fix necessary things. Like putting back the missing door on the gas water heater, repairing the drain for the washer, etc. They refused to fix the electrical outlet for the dryer so they never had a dryer. They also did not pay anything, i.e. trash, water. And the tenants often got stuck with late fees on the water bill as the owners never forwarded the bill. The tenants tried to get the water company to send them the water bill direct but it is against their policy UNLESS the owners of the property signed off on it - and they would not do it. Also when my neighbors moved in they never could get the owners to remove a lot of trash stacked outside, the tenants removed some but not all. It is still there and the owners still have not removed it. These people to me, like I said, are slumlords. They are making the tenants bear all responsibility for the property and they just take their money. They even had to pay the sewer bill - as I said, the renters paid everything.

I need to get myself in gear and get dressed and then head up to Curves. I think of Stripes so often - sure miss that macho cat - he was such a love - independence and all. Loved talking with him and he was a talker. Sometimes he sounded just like a human and could spook me when he did that, LOL.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Daffodils in a vintage jug.....

Winifred,  It was 88 when I got up this morning with a heat index of over 100 and then there's the humidity.   

There is a spell check thingy up at the very top right hand corner of the answer or post box.   I didn't notice it at first but it has helped me out.   My Ginger spell checker is not working on these new threads. 

I really do miss hearing about Stripes from you.   He was kind of like my cyber nephew kitty.   Sounds silly I guess,   but I did love him too.  He was a unique independent critter for sue.   He had a great life with you,  doing what he wanted but coming back to his 'Mom",  who he loved very much.   He was a sweetheart for sure.Heart

Take care of yourself in that awful heat and humidity.   Things can wait till it's cooler,  for sure.  

Honored Contributor

Watermelon Penguin: Fruitart, Watermelonowl, Watermelon Owl, Summer Parties, Watermelon Art, Watermelon Carvings, Fruit Art, Foodart, Food Art

Honored Contributor

Freddie, Poppi is a stand offish kind of bird.  He looked at me, his mother and was like - um, leave me alone (lol).

It's 61 degrees with rain and 29 MPH winds.  Davey was dressed for my weather.

I hope you get decent neighbors in the house next door.  Amazing that anyone wants to rent with that lousy landlord.

Hey Possum and Mousie (waving hello).

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info on the Spell Check - I never saw it. It is so tiny and pale I had not even noticed it.

Slumlords will always rent to others as potential renters have no clue what they are in for I guess. To me, however, I would spot something questionable right off the bat when there is mess in the yard when I am looking at it. Some people are desperate to find a place and that is often how they can keep the places rented. Cannot help but think of Mr. Bouldin who built it - and his precious wife. Mr. Bouldin passed away many years back - for sure. I know the last renters were in that boat - the two families had to move in together as the younger ones had problems finding jobs and this place worked out for them. They, however, sure had to pay for every single thing which they were not aware of until they moved in. One never knows. The people who bought the house after Mrs. Bouldin passed lost it as they had an escalating mortgage and their monthly payment went up to more than $2500 a month. They tried so hard to keep it but could not. He was a pool man and the economy nosedived and so his work was not as much as it was. She worked in a fast food place. They now live in  a junky mobile home park but she has turned that little place into something to behold. Fixed up the small yard with things to make it look cute, painted the trailer bright yellow - not sure I would have done that but they like it -  and they are doing well. She says they are just happy they have a roof over their head but she does tear up on occasion. Bless them - I was very fond of them. She still speaks minimal English - do think she should make an effort to learn it better - her older daughter does most of her translating. Husband speaks it a bit better but not much. The two children speak perfect English. Interesting.

More birds showed up yesterday - temps dropped a bit and a good part of the day was minimal sun. That sun will roast you.  Enough feathered friends to empty the big feeders about half way. Normally it is gone in a matter of hours. LOL. Still no doves hanging out and still, the crows are very abundant.

Am eagerly awaiting church time this morning. Pastor Don is so interesting to listen to and the people are very nice. Still only a handful attending and do hope it increases. They just do not have enough workers to go out in the community and do some recruiting. No one to answer the phone most of the time - it is a difficult struggle to rebuild it.

We have had quite a few  new people but most do not come back. It is not the preaching or atmosphere - I think it is perhaps because so very feware  in attendance and some people would be bothered by that. We also do not have a regular church building, it is in a warehouse - that too could turn some people off. Actually it has always been there and had grown - after several years = to where they were actively and quickly looking for another place. The associate pastor who caused the problem took most of the people with him. He was a master musician, but was NOT a pastor. While he has a tremendous following I do not believe it will hold up for any great length of time. What he did was so horribly wrong. Enough of that.

Hope all have a good day.