Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: June Bird's Nest - Welcome Summer

@possummink wrote:

Wompoo Fruit Dove (Ptilinopus magnificus) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Possuum, is this beautiful bird a part of the pigeon family?

Respected Contributor

My goodness but the days seem to fly by. Have been super busy for several days now but still - no rest for the weary.

Got nasty hot again today and those weather reports that we would probably have thunderstorms on Fri and Sat seem to have disappeared. Not nice at all. But who know, we could be fooled. Smiley Wink Wish we could get some decent emoticons or whatever they are called. LOL.

Been trying to get my house cleaned out - impossible with my roomers I think. They do drive me insane but by the same token I sure get the feeling is mutual. Remember however, I am right and THEY are wrong. Woman Mad

Stay cool one and all!!!!

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@possummink wrote:

Wompoo Fruit Dove (Ptilinopus magnificus) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Possuum, is this beautiful bird a part of the pigeon family?

Mousie,   It's a Wompoo Fruit Dove.    It's a gorgeous bird!   

Honored Contributor

Scarlet Ibis Photo by Laci Meixner — National Geographic Your Shot

Honored Contributor

Cockatoos

Respected Contributor

Pix of those two birds is absolutely gorgeous - love the colors Possum.

My feeders need filling - AGAIN. So what else is new. Soooooo very hot and humid yesterday. I did get a few things done yesterday  but last night I lay down early as I was feeling queasy, stomach and body. I may have gotten too hot as I have NO business outside trying to do anything much in this weather. But I cannot just always sit and think about it. LOL. Did get about half my windows done on the outside. Decided I HAD TO as I was having trouble seeing out of them. Sigh. Tried working for a while on those deep tree watering stakes. Still have not gotten one all the way down in this soil. So very frustrating. Early morning put a little water on the persimmon and old huge black olive tree. Did not use much but will probably get charged for doing it. The stupid water company uses smart meters like all the other utility compnies now so all they have to do is sit in their office and monitor people. They know when water is being used - and how much. Of course they would know your total amount when reading meters but now they know exactly when and how much each time.

At any rate sometime today I MUST get those feeders filled. Birds are scarce however and am sure no food, no water and excessive heat is playing a big role in that also.  And to think most of my friends out here still say Sou Cal is the place to be - they love it. Well I use to. Do have one friend however that DID get a letter telling her to cut back on her water use. She was funny in saying how she was doing it but she did make a big chop in her bill. Her last bill was $80, the one before that was $150 - that is progress. She says she is wearing her clothes a bit dirtier now - has cut way back on washing clothes. Also has cut back on showers = haven't we all? - as well as washing her hair. She said she is struggling with living dirty now. I understand.  And has done a few other things outside to cut way back. She lives alone so that will give you an idea of water rates out here. Yep,  She has a big yard and has kept her place up extremely well - no more. I too have a large yard - over an acre. Grass all dead - what is left of it and bushes and trees are struggling. You cannot wash your house, driveway or anything outside like that any more. Saying all this it still amazes me to see some sprinklers running in the day time - that is a big NO NO, running all over the sidewalks - where there are sidewalks - and running down the street. I must question why those people are still doing it - in other words where are the water cops that this lady got a letter and others just do things we are not suppose to do in broad daylight, so to speak.

I need to get a move on and get dressed and start my day - like getting Davey moving to take him to the Bridge Program at school. After today he only has 4 days left next week and that is that. Sure hope he is doing well - I suspect he is as he seems to enjoy heading to school - big change from ALL of last year. He goes 4 days a week with shortened hours..If he has done well he will start 9th grade with 5 credits - that will help him.

Have a great day everyone and stay cool.

Honored Contributor

Freddie, I was looking high and low for you in Among Friends.  Girl, you keep me on my toes :-)

Freddie you might have gotten a touch of heatstroke when working outside yesterday.  You know that humidity is not a friend to your lungs.  I also understand that the elves will not come and do the work for you when you sleep (wink).

I got the smart meters for electricity now.  I feel bad because that puts a workforce of meter readers out of a job.  I hope the system don't get hacked.  Think about it, in the winter when I am at work, there will be little electricity being used during the day which could tell a hacker that I am not home.

I think it's a dam-ed shame people can't even bathe or shampoo out of fear of getting fine for water usage.

I know Michigan is too cold for you, still I wish you lived nearer to me.  :-)

Maybe this year will be Davey's year at school.  He's a bright child and if his confidence improves (easier said than done) I have no doubt he would excel.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Frequent Contributor

@possummink wrote:

A pukeko is a New Zealand bird.

Hi Birding Friends,    I had a BIT of trouble finding this thread and hope all of you can find it too.   

I didn't expect the powers that be to make the 're-do' of the Community boards to user unfriendly.   I hate this new format.    Confusing,  twisted, duplicitious,  and probably cunningly formatted to make us not want to bother coming here, but rather go to the selling part of this site.  Not going to work with  cynical me, though.    I buy less and less here all the time and haven't watched a show in months, if not years.   I used to have the Q on all the time, but not any more.

Hoping to see all my Birding Friends soon.   

That's a cool looking bird; like the blue coloring. What kind of bird is it?

Frequent Contributor

@possummink wrote:

Beautiful pic. Did you take it?

Frequent Contributor

@possummink wrote:

Cockatoos

Gorgeous birds. It looks like they're smiling.