Respected Contributor

Re: Judge says the teen who was declared brain dead 3 years ago may technically be alive. OMG.

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@suzyQ3

Daily Mail article dated May 17, 2011.  By Kate Allatt

Headline:  "Doctor said I was brain dead, I wanted to scream, but all I could do is blink"

Jahi cannot even blink...

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Judge says the teen who was declared brain dead 3 years ago may technically be alive. OMG.

Oh, so sorry for your loss, @goldensrbest

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@suzyQ3

Headline:  "Doctor said I was brain dead, I wanted to scream, but all I could do is blink"

@ALRATIBA, can you please provide a link so that I can read it? That headline sounds as if it would fit right in on the National Enquirer or other tabloids I see when I'm in the checkout line.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the Daily Mail is what you line your birdcage with.

It's right up there with "Bat-boy is having space alien's love child!"

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest  I am so very sorry that you experienced this with your beloved son Shane.  My heart goes out to you.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@suzyQ3

@ALRATIBA, can you please provide a link so that I can read it? That headline sounds as if it would fit right in on the National Enquirer or other tabloids I see when I'm in the checkout line.

@suzyQ3

Just google the headline ... it comes right up.  It's a UK newspaper, The Daily Mail ... health column.  Lots of other articles come up.

There a belief among some that some doctors are in a rush to declare brain death so they can harvest organs.  

Esteemed Contributor

If that story were true, it would be published in a reputable magazine, like Journal of the American Medical Association, and not a tabloid rag.

Respected Contributor

That story is very sad.  Who would want to spend their life hooked up to machines in a vegetative state.  Not me and I wouldn't want anyone that I Iove or care about to have the same fate.  

Acceptance of end of life is very difficult especially when it's your child, but as a parent, you need to do what is best for the child, and if the body is being kept alive by machines, and the brain is technically "dead", then the person really isn't "living".

That would be the hardest thing that one could ever do, but putting the patient first is the priority...what they would want.

Personally, it sounds a little bit like a "money grab", as noted by other posters.  If that is the case, it makes it even more sad (and disgusting) that their motivation is about making a profit and not doing the best thing for the child.  If they are going after money to profit from that poor child, that is just sickening. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

There's a woman walking around England today who had a stroke and was declared brain dead.

She heard everything that was being said about removing her life support ...

@ALRATIBA  Katie Allatt-she was featured on BBC news several years ago.

She had "locked-in syndrome".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

There's a woman walking around England today who had a stroke and was declared brain dead.

She heard everything that was being said about removing her life support ...

@ALRATIBA  Katie Allatt-she was featured on BBC news several years ago.

She had "locked-in syndrome".

I just read about her. Her recovery was much faster. Jahi has been in this state for almost 4 years come December.