Respected Contributor

Re: Judge says the teen who was declared brain dead 3 years ago may technically be alive. OMG.

At some point the family will be required to have experts actually examine her.  I don't think they're going to be successful proving she's alive.

Honored Contributor

Re: Judge says the teen who was declared brain dead 3 years ago may technically be alive. OMG.

I thought this judge was going to leave it up to a jury to decide if she is alive or not, and then determine compensation for the family based on their decision.

I'm not keen with a jury determining life or death, especially since she has been declared dead previously.

However, I hope Jahi is not in any discomfort and I hope this family can have a resolution one way or another.

Sad case.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

Remember the experts declared her dead. The family then found their own expert who doesn't believe brain death = death. He testified for Jahi. They believe that if the heart is beating, there is life, no matter what is keeping the heart beating. 

Esteemed Contributor

IF the family sues hospitals, doctors etc they will be required to allow their (Hospitals and doctors) experts to examine her so that they (the experts) can testify.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

IF the family sues hospitals, doctors etc they will be required to allow their (Hospitals and doctors) experts to examine her so that they (the experts) can testify.

@KathyPet  True and I can't believe the judge wants to leave the final decision up to a jury.   Life or death-how can one choose a jury to determine which medical testimony is the right one?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest, so very, very sorry for your loss.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbestso sorry for your losss...

Respected Contributor

In trying to understand this mother's values, I would think she would want the natural process for her daughter to be united in the afterlife in which she claims to so strongly believe.  Does she not ask herself what right she has to get in the way of that, going to macabre lengths to deny her daughter eternal happiness, instead held in a state of Frankensteinish non-existence?  What true believing mother does that?

Contributor

How is this right?  The judge is not qualified to determine death and neither are the jurors, nless they are all doctors or coroners. 

Valued Contributor

There's been nothing right about this from the get go. It's about money. Witnesses claim her family fed her McDonald's burger when she was not to have anything.

Also the grandmother took it upon herself to suction Jahi's throat, she was having trouble swallowing her own secretions (but not a burger?). Between the burger and the suctioning the clot was dislodged and she bled profusely which caused a cardiac event and brain damage.

Jahi didn't have a simple tonsillectomy. The surgeon removed other throat tissue to make breathing easier for her. Do to her obesity she had a lot of fatty tissue restricting air flow. The surgery was quite extensive.

The mother doctor shopped until she found one who would do it. She was turned down by a few because Jahi wasn't a good surgical candidate due in part to her weight. The mother refused the advice of many to try to remedy the problem through her diet. If she lost weight, her breathing issues probably would have been solved.

This mother takes no responsibility, though. Sue, sue, sue.