Respected Contributor

Re: Judge says the teen who was declared brain dead 3 years ago may technically be alive. OMG.

Of course they are "technically alive" everyone is alive until pronounced legally dead or deceased.

Honored Contributor

Re: Judge says the teen who was declared brain dead 3 years ago may technically be alive. OMG.

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Of course they are "technically alive" everyone is alive until pronounced legally dead or deceased.

@ mememe I thought the coroner said she was dead; that's part of the lawsuit the family filed and why the ruling by this judge is so important. By declaring her alive, the family can go after those they choose as well as get their daughter benefits she doesn't qualify for because she's "dead".

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

She has already been pronounced legally dead. 

The family wants that reversed so they can get more money.

Esteemed Contributor

What is the basis for the lawsuit? Who is being sued and why?
Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

A death certificate was issued over 2 years ago. She is brain dead. The respirator was going to be discontinued. The family got an ambulance to transport her in an 11th hour 'save'.

She was moved to NJ because the laws were more friendly to her than in California. She is being helped by a group that was associated with Terry Schivo(sp).

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Judge weighs in on whether Jahi McMath is brain dead

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/06/judge-weighs-in-on-whether-jahi-mcmath-is-brain-dead/amp/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I usually side with the law, but wow...I question the motives of this judge.

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest, i'm so sorry for your loss. 😕 

Valued Contributor

Jahi McMath

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp  Thank you : )  My link brought up "stuff" the mods don't like.

Personally, I think this ruling opens a Pandora's Box. Not good.