Honored Contributor

Judge says the teen who was declared brain dead 3 years ago may technically be alive. OMG.

Can't post the link but a good friend of mine who is a nurse just sent me a text about it. I can't imagine the nightmare on all levels of this.

Has anyone else heard about this? I read the story and now the lawsuit will go forward. Just....wow. WOW. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Judge says the teen who was declared brain dead 3 years ago may technically be alive. OMG.

Who???

Honored Contributor

Re: Judge says the teen who was declared brain dead 3 years ago may technically be alive. OMG.

@SahmIam wrote:

Can't post the link but a good friend of mine who is a nurse just sent me a text about it. I can't imagine the nightmare on all levels of this.

Has anyone else heard about this? I read the story and now the lawsuit will go forward. Just....wow. WOW. 

I heard about it.  I think it was in the NY Post this morning where I saw the article about it.  I remember the case.

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam.....one can be brain dead and be alive.... it is the quality of life that the person is experiencing.... the person is probably, but not always, being kept alive by artificial means.

Valued Contributor

Jahai?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I read about it this morning.

The family hasn't allowed anyone to actually test her to determine this.  They just said they're basing this on twitches and movements. 

Honored Contributor

If machines are keeping a person alive , that is not living ,we went through this in 1998 ,with my son Shane ,within minutes of removing the tubes , his heart stopped.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

If it's who I think it is, she was declared dead. Her mother wanted that changed so she could get help with her care.

Dead people can't get SSI or medicaid. They've been fighting this out for years. She was forced out of the hospital because a 'dead person' was using up resources that living people needed.

It turned into quite a circus.

Respected Contributor

The only reason this is significant is that now a jury will make this determination rather than a judge. 

Now the lawsuit against the hospital can move forward.  Jury awards are not capped; where as if the judge decides the case, the most they will receive will be $250,000.

Honored Contributor

@game-on wrote:

@SahmIam.....one can be brain dead and be alive.... it is the quality of life that the person is experiencing.... the person is probably, but not always, being kept alive by artificial means.

@game-on  Yes, the article stated that. My response is the ruling. This now opens the door for the family to sue the hospital, doctors, etc. plus....I truly believes it feeds their belief that she is going to wake up and be fine.

How is her brain functioning? And how is she alive if nothing functions? So many questions hence my "wow".